Wednesday, March 3, 2010

LEADERSHIP

"Lead, Follow or GET OUT OF THE WAY!"


This is basically the saying that I am using for the basis of my podcast/blog for Wednesday and Thursday and today I am focusing on the "Leadership" aspect.


Now, I understand it when some people kind of "winch" when they read or hear this little line --but think about it and I think you will agree that it is a legitimate phrase. Not everyone is a leader, but if you're not going to lead, then be the BEST follower you can be! However, if you aren't going to lead OR follow - GET OUT OF THE WAY!

I'm going to talk more about the "follow or get out of the way" part in tomorrow's podcast/blog and I won't be devoting a whole lot of time to the "get out of the way" part. Why? Well, honestly, people in that category are not likely to be listening to or reading ANYTHING along the lines of personal development!

In the podcast for today I shared several quotes about leadership that I picked up from http://www.wisdomquotes.com/ (check it out - it has many different categories full of quotes and is a great resource) and I'll share just a few of my favorites here:

"Inventories can be managed, but people must be led." - H. Ross Perot

"I cannot give you the formula for success, but I can give you the formula for failure: which is: Try to please everybody." - Herbert B. Swope

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." - John Quincy Adams

Again, I use several more in the podcast so be sure to check it out to get the rest of them - but take a close look at even just these three. Leaders are SPECIAL people that understand what it is, first of all, to follow and also to be a servant!

Here's the thing about leaders and followers that most people miss - ALL leaders are STILL followers! Every leader - regardless of who it is - still follows someone! They ALL have a mentor or someone that they turn to for advice or that they use as a model on how they want to lead. It's true!

If ANYONE says, "I follow no one!" then, in my opinion, here are three things you can know about that person immediately: 1. They are a LIAR 2. They are a FOOL 3. They are an IDIOT - 'nuff said.

We likely have all seen "leaders" (I use that term loosely here) that have tried to please everybody - and we've all likely seen the chaos that followed! Being a leader - a TRUE leader - is not always easy and, if you think it is then you are in for a major correction in your thinking!

I love the quote by John Quincy Adams! Summed up, "Leaders Inspire!"

So, here's the thing to think about today...you may not consider yourself to be a leader and, yet, you likely ARE a leader of someone! Remember, all leaders follow someone and, most of the time, most followers have those that follow them. But we'll get into that more in tomorrow's discussion.

If you deem yourself a leader, I really encourage you to take the time to either listen to and write down the quotes I share on the podcast and REALLY take the time to allow them to sink in OR to just got to the quotes page I've shared with you and do the same thing.

It takes a special person to lead in such a way that creates a DESIRE to follow in those around them. Not because they "have to" out of fear, but because they "have to" due to the draw of their "spirit" so to speak. Do you understand what I mean? It's as if there is a magnet in this leader that is drawing them to follow.

WARNING: Keep your head on here! Don't blindly follow someone because they are charismatic! Many have made that mistake and have suffered great losses in their lives - be careful!

The "draw/magnetism" I refer to is one that draws/attracts because you SEE in them action that goes beyond the talk or the charisma. There must be SUBSTANCE behind the pretty lights!

I'd like to leave you with one last quote that I shared on today's podcast:

"The most dangerous leadership myth is that leaders are born -- that there is a genetic factor to leadership. This myth asserts that people simply either have certain charismatic qualities or not. That's nonsense; in fact, the opposite is true. Leaders are made rather than born." - Warren G. Bennis

Are YOU cultivating the leader quality within you?

In my opinion, just being here reading this and/or listening to this podcast shows that you are, indeed, working on improving your mindset and, thus, your life!

That's what leaders do and then they show others the way to do the same thing in their own lives.

Thanks for taking the time to share in my thoughts today - I always appreciate it. Whatever you do, as always, be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment