Monday, September 26, 2011

What Is It To Be 'Content'?

"What is it to be 'Content'?"


I briefly discussed the "spiritual struggle" that some may have with the idea of desiring something better in and for their lives. Many times they will go to the verse in the Bible where the apostle, Paul states that he is CONTENT in whatever state (situation/condition) he finds himself in at the time (Philippians 4:11).


I'm not going to get into a deep, religious discussion on this but I DO want you to understand that the concept of desiring something better is NOT contradictory to this finding in the Bible!


What you find if you examine the context (the thoughts that surround this one verse and statement) is that Paul had realized that, regardless of the situation - whether good or bad - it's o.k.! When things are going particularly well, don't get carried away and think it will always be that way and, even when things are anything BUT good, the same is also true...don't get carried away and think it will always be this way.


IT'S NOT THE END OF THE STORY!


Again, there is a real spiritual message being shared here that I won't go into in this blog. However, if any of you would like more thoughts on this, just drop me an e-mail at: mike@futureyouuniversity.com


But, here's the deal, friend, for ALL of us to understand. It is in our very nature to desire something better for ourselves and for our loved ones.


And - HERE'S THE KICKER - if you find yourself in a "down cycle" and things just aren't going well for you - DON'T GET CARRIED AWAY and think that you are destined to a life of misery.


BE CONTENT. Huh?


Understand that this is not the end of the world. Understand that you CAN better your life if you so desire. Understand that you don't have to "give up" and accept your current situation as something that sucks the very life OUT of your life!


But, hey, while you are here, take a look around. THIS is a big part of contentment!


Are there loved ones around you? Are there people that love you? Are there friends that care about you? Do you have a roof over your head? Do you have clothes on your back? Do you have food to eat? Do you have smiles shared with you? Are you able to read this? Are you able to listen to the sounds around you?


I could go on and on, couldn't I? But I hope you get the point.


It's EASY for us to loose our focus on what we DO have and put all of that focus on what we DON'T have!


Being content is the act of realizing that, even though things may not be the way I want them to be at the moment, I have much to be thankful for and I NEED to GIVE THANKS for those positive things in my life.


Remember my main "saying"?


"As long as there is breath, there is hope!"


How true that is for all of us and how often we all need to be reminded.


I know I do!


You see, things are not how I want them to be in my life right now. They haven't been for quite some time and, if you've followed me on this "journey" then you already know what I'm referring to when I say this.


But, I HAVE NOT given up and I WILL NOT give up!


But, (and it IS hard for me to do this, o.k.) I DO need to be "content" and notice the powerful and positive things around me each and every day.


Do I plan to stay in this current situation? NO!


But I can't miss the joy and the blessing that is here, even now, in this current "down cycle".


WHAT ABOUT YOU?


Being content does NOT mean that you have to settle for less or for where you are. But it DOES mean that you are thankful for who/what you have WHILE you are here.


So, yeah, I can say and YOU can say, "Whatever the situation, I've learned to be content."


And, as you soak in that thought always be sure to...


"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"



Mike




No comments:

Post a Comment