Sunday, April 3, 2011

Your Information Diet

"YOUR INFORMATION DIET"


Simple task - tell me about your diet.


"Oh, but I'm not currently on a diet."


Sure you are. Tell me about it.


"No, see...you don't understand. I TRIED a diet but it didn't go very well so I quit."


Regardless, you are STILL on a diet. Whatever it is that you eat from day to day IS your diet! Now, when we look at it that way some of us might feel like crawling under a rock and hiding, right?


I hear people say, "I'm going to go on a diet" or "I'm going to start a diet" and, though I understand what they are trying to communicate, those words used are actually wrong.


The correct thing to say would be, "I'm going to CHANGE my diet" or "I'm going to IMPROVE my diet."


Get it?


Good!


Why is this so important? Well, first of all you can relax. We are NOT going to be talking about your nutritional diet in this series of discussions. We're going to be talking about your "mental diet" or your "information diet".


So, right off, let me ask you the same question that I asked before BUT this time in reference to your "mental or informational diet".


Tell me about your diet.


The thing is, most of us THINK we know about our "mental/informational diet" but, in reality we really have no idea.


It's time to find out!


Step one: FIND OUT WHAT IS AVAILABLE.


What do I mean by that? Simply go through your program guide (whatever or however that is available to you) and look through a 24 hour period and see how many "news programs" are on the air during that time period. However, DO NOT count your cable channels but ONLY count the "national" channels (NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX).


Seriously. Give it your best shot and see what you come up with.


I'll share mine with you during the next podcast/blog article. I thought I had a pretty good idea how saturated this type of programming was but I was still a bit shocked when I actually took the time to put it down on paper.


Do that and then come back tomorrow for the next entry on this topic and we'll see what you and I both do with what is available.


Until then...think about the old computer acrostic, "G.I.G.O" which stands for "garbage in, garbage out". It's a simple reminder that a computer is only as good as the programming. If you program "garbage" into the computer then guess what you'll get? GARBAGE!


The same is true when we think about our mindsets. Positive or negative?


Think about it.


And until next time...


"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"



Mike


www.MichaelSpillman.com



No comments:

Post a Comment