Monday, November 4, 2013

Survive or THRIVE?


What do you think of when you see or hear the word, "survive"?
 
Some may think of the reality television show, "Survivor", to sum up the idea behind the word, "survive". You do what you have to do to get by. Don't expect anything fancy, just enough to get by.
 
I was talking to a young couple recently about their jobs. My wife and I actually worked with them not too long ago and walked away after realizing that we were merely surviving and actually going "backwards" due to the mentality of that type of environment.
 
In our discussion I mentioned that a couple just can't really make it on what they get paid working at this place. The young man said something along the line of, "Well, you actually can if you are really careful!"
 
Exactly. I understand. My wife and I took jobs there simply as a way to bring in some cash while we geared things back up for plans that we had/have for our lives. And, the young man is right! Although we were "making it" (sort of) we were simply "surviving". Not able to enjoy life or anything extra that brings joy to life.
 
Simply surviving.
 
Now, I understand that there are times in our lives in which that is simply the way that it is. I remember when my wife and I first got married 31 years ago that we spent a whole week eating only peanut butter, crackers and water. That was it. Nothing else. Breakfast, lunch and supper.
 
Simply surviving.
 
Now, I'm not sure about you (even though I think I know that you are pretty much the same as me) but I don't want to just "survive".
 
I don't want to just survive physically, spiritually, emotionally or financially.
 
I know people that have been married for many years that are basically just surviving in their relationship. They are just "there" going through the motions and not really experiencing a THRIVING relationship.
 
Simply surviving.
 
Don't YOU want more?  Of course you do.
 
In tomorrow's blog we will talk about the flip side of just surviving - THRIVING!
 
Join me then. Until that time, be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment