Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Jim Rohn Tribute

My Jim Rohn Tribute

Last night as I recorded my podcast for today I had many thoughts sweep over me. I'd like to try to share some of those with you today and encourage you to be sure to listen to today's podcast which includes about a three minute clip of Mr. Rohn speaking.

Thought #1: Did the closing sound corny?

When I ended my podcast I said something along the lines of, "...this great man who walked this earth, the same earth that we walk today" and immediately thought, "Wow, that sounded corny!" Then I thought about it a little more and, although I do wish I had worded it differently (yeah, I know I could have gone back and edited it or redone it - but I really didn't want to) there is meaning behind what was said and here it is: Jim Rohn was, indeed, a very special man BUT he was no different than you or me! If he were here today he would tell you the exact same thing. Oh, he was different than most of us in that he reached thousands upon thousands of people around the world and he will continue to do so for years and years even after his death --- a true legacy. He is also different than many of us in that he stepped up and out and followed what he had been taught. But, do you realize that he did not hear these lessons until he was about 40 years old? And, look what he did with the rest of his life!

So, here's the kicker - why can't you do the same? You see, he DID walk the same earth as you and I. He had the same struggles, cares, concerns and, obviously, health issues that many of us face from day to day. Yet, again, look at the legacy that he leaves behind. There is greatness in each one of us that is just waiting to be let out and let loose!

"Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else's hands, but not you."

"Success is doing ordinary things extraordinarily well."

"Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals."

"Success is not to be pursued; it is to be attracted by the person you become."

"Success is nothing more than a few simple disciplines, practiced every day."

Thought #2: Jim Rohn Was Unique!

Jim Rohn didn't try to be anyone else. He was a unique man and he had a unique way of speaking. If you listen to the audio clip on today's podcast you will hear me make a comment on how he said the last word of that clip. It put a smile on my face every time I heard it as I edited the podcast. I loved hearing him do that particular "thing" to words as he spoke. He was calm as he spoke and was not one of those "fired up" guys that run all over the stage. Now, don't get me wrong - I like those guys too and sometimes that is what I need! But, Mr. Rohn didn't try to be anything but who he was. And, for that, I am very thankful.

The lesson is true for us still today and I touched on this very idea a few days ago in our podcast on, "You Are Unique!". Don't try to be like everyone else and don't try to BE someone else - be who you are and use the talents and the abilities that God gave YOU!

"You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself. That is something you have charge of."

"It is not what happens that determines the major part of your future. What happens, happens to us all. It is what you do about what happens that counts."

Thought #3: A Void is Being Left

Charlie "Tremendous" Jones passed away in 2008 and now Jim Rohn in 2009. I had the privilege to hear Zig Ziglar back in October and was inspired and saddened at the same time because it was evident that his time of sharing will soon be coming to an end. Wow - that's all I can think to say. These men are, indeed, legends in this field and now they are gone and there are not many - than I'm aware of - of this caliber that still are able to continue on. Dennis Waitley comes to mind and I'm glad I had the chance to meet him in July of 2008 and, although he is still going strong he, too, is getting up in years.

What then? I believe there is a call for others to step up and continue this great legacy set by these men. You can call it arrogance if you'd like but I plan to be one of those that steps up and does my best to continue in their footsteps! Yes, others are doing so even now - and I plan to be one as well. We cannot all be speakers, authors - motivators in the same realm as these great men. BUT - we CAN all be motivators in our own world and to/for those that we are around on a daily basis! Will you?

We all have a responsibility to be the best that we can be and to be all that we can be. Never forget that as you make your way through this daily journey.

And, finally, this quote from Jim Rohn - I think this speaks of his character and his heart for people. I will leave you with this quote as I continue to encourage you to, "Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

"I wish for you a life of health, wealth and happiness; a life in which you give yourself the gift of patience, the virtue of reason, the value of knowledge, and the influence of faith in your own ability to dream about and achieve worthy rewards."











These quotes are by Jim Rohn, America's Foremost Business Philosopher. To subscribe to the Free Jim Rohn Weekly E-zine, go to www.jimrohn.comExcerpted from The Treasury of Quotes by Jim Rohn.Copyright © 1994-2008 Jim Rohn International. All rights reserved worldwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment