Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"Merely Existing OR Truly Living?" - Part 2

"Merely Existing OR Truly Living?"

(Part 2)


"TRULY LIVING INVOLVES RISK!"






Don't you just love that picture? That little mouse is about to take a risk! But, if you'll notice, he has PREPARED to take that risk (see his helmet?) and he (or maybe "she") has decided that the REWARD (the cheese) is worth the RISK (possible death!).


As the subtitle says, "TRULY LIVING INVOLVES RISK!".


But, are YOU willing to take the risk? If so, are you PREPARED for the risk? And, have you decided if the RISK is actually worth the REWARD?


Only you can answer these questions, right? But, I can try to give you some things to think about as you DO consider your answers.


First of all, I'm thinking that a life void of all risks would definitely fit into the category of "merely existing". What would you say?


You likely have seen this displayed with how some parents "over-protect" their kids. You've seen it, haven't you? I have watched (very uncomfortably, I might add) as some parents have "blocked the way" of their children even coming CLOSE to any possible "risk" as they tried to play.


But there was no playing to be done! Why? Because once all the risk was removed there was actually nothing to do. Think about that.


If you want to learn to ride a bike then understand this...there is RISK involved! There is the risk that you may fall over and crash. Actually, it's not a risk - it's pretty much a certainty. Some parents will not allow their child to entertain this risk and, by doing so, ROB them of the joy of peddling that bike with the wind blowing in their face.


It has been said that, by doing all that we can to eliminate germs around our kids, we have actually weakened our children's immune systems. They actually NEED some germs so that their body can build up a proper defense to them.


I was friends with a young lady when I was in college that, quite honestly, came from a different background than I did. I'm not a "fancy" person... never have been and I don't see myself ever becoming that way. What do I mean by "fancy"?


Now, before I share with you this example, please DO NOT be offended if you enjoy this type of scenario in your life. All I'm saying is this: it's not my style!


Anyway, she was describing to me her "dream house" and she was even "walking" me through the rooms of the house and describing how they were set up and how they looked in her mind. She told me of one room that have very nice furniture in it which consisted of a couple of nice chairs, a couch, coffee table and a few other things. Now, to me, she had already told me about her "living room" that had couches and chairs in it and I asked her what was the purpose of having another room so similar. If I remember right she called this second room a "sitting room" and I, being a bit sarcastic said, "So, what...you just are going to come in here and sit?" to which she replied, "Oh no! No one will sit on this furniture. It's really more to just look at!"


I wish I could tell you that I was polite and tactful but that would be stretching the truth a bit. Remember, I said I was sarcastic and, true to form, I simply laughed at her and told her that the thought of such a thing was just plain silly!


Now again, please don't be offended if you have a "sitting room" that no one is allowed to sit in but, to me, in my "non-fancy" world it just doesn't make much sense.


Why have furniture if no one is allowed to sit on it and use it?


To me, this is a perfect illustration of living a life without risk - you are merely existing. You are "here" but nothing is happening and you are not "using" your life for it's intended purpose.


Just look at that last sentence again and notice the words, "your life". We use the word, "life" to describe what we have as our existence on this earth yet, too many times, we miss the essence found in that word... LIFE!


Think about it as I share with you one other quote from the movie, "Tuck Everlasting" that I will use in my concluding thoughts on this topic in tomorrows thoughts...


"Don't be afraid of death, but rather be afraid of the unlived life."


Until then...


"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"



Mike



No comments:

Post a Comment