Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Selfishness Is NOT Purpose


If you haven't done so, be sure to go back and read the blog from yesterday as I began this discussion on "Living a Life of Purpose" before you go on with this one. Well, go on.  Well, I mean, you don't HAVE to do that but it might help as you read today's blog entry.

In tomorrow's blog I'm going to begin talking about what a life of purpose really is but I thought I'd spend a little time today talking about what it is NOT. And, as you can tell from the title of today's blog alone with the graphic at the top, a life of purpose is NOT about SELF!

We definitely live in a self-centered world, don't we? Oh, I know - and am thankful - that there seems to be a shift among many in our world today toward understanding the need to live a life of service. But I'd suggest that for every person - especially younger person - that is beginning to understand the importance of this fact, there are maybe five that are still focused on themselves.

I've recently discussed how this may come about by never helping our children understand that, as a matter of fact, they really AREN'T the cutest kid in the world and they really AREN'T the smartest one, either. Again, I get being proud of our kids but, at some point, we MUST help them make that transition over to reality and a more meaningful purpose for their existence.

Me, me, me, me. Just listen to those around you as they talk and you will likely hear this word (or "I") more than just about any other. Wow, I get really tired of listening to someone that does that, don't you? As a matter of fact, I will usually tune them out rather quickly and move on to someone else for a conversation with some actual substance.

Many times self-centered people will try to convince you that they are happy and, hey, they may even have all of the"bling" to make you think that this may even be so! I mean, they have focused so completely on themselves that they had NOTHING to stop them from doing anything and everything necessary to collect all of the "stuff" that many want to attach to mean "success".

However, I truly believe that no matter how much they try to convince you or others that they are happy, they really aren't. Of even more significance is the fact that, regardless of how much they try to convince THEMSELVES that they are happy they are, more likely, very lonely and miserable.

Living a life of self is a lonely life. Why? Because there is no one else in your world but YOU. Oh sure, there may be some people around that enjoy getting the perks of being your "friend". But as soon as those perks "dry up" or you try to test them to see if they are there because of those perks or because they actually LIKE you... well, get ready for the echo of your own voice.

Listen friend, we are all here for something bigger and better than ourselves! Please - PLEASE - if you have any teens still at home (or even in college and still coming to your home) spend some time "picking their brain" to see where they are in this process. So many do nothing and expect EVERYTHING given to them. Oh, I do know that there are some exceptions but I'm talking about what I have seen as the majority.

And, while you are at it - do a little self-examination, too and see what you find. Hey, it's easy to get caught up in this "me" thing. But remember - a life of purpose is NOT a life focused on self.

I hope you'll join me again tomorrow and that you'll remember to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
Mike



No comments:

Post a Comment