Sunday, March 29, 2015

Job Self-Discrimination

 
Applying for jobs can be very frustrating. Been there?
 
If you've applied for many jobs at all, you likely have "been there". And, like many others, you've likely had some of the following questions pop up in your head when you were rejected for some of the following  reasons:
     - "You have no experience." O.k. I understand that if I'm applying for the job of a BRAIN SURGEON! And, yes, I know that there are some positions that DO need experience but, at the same time, I have been turned down from jobs that really didn't require any special talent...just experience. So, like me, perhaps you wanted to ask, "How am I supposed to get experience if you won't hire me?"
     - "Sorry, you're OVER qualified." This one REALLY drives me nuts! There have been times in my life where I was willing and ready to take ANY job - no matter how menial - just to put food on the table. But, because I had a college diploma and because I had previous jobs that paid much more than this particular job, they were afraid that I wouldn't stay long because I was "OVER qualified". I did actually ask the following question: "Yes, I understand that but, if I'm willing to do ANYTHING necessary to put food on the table, what does it matter?"
 
Perhaps you feel that you've faced some of the following situations that kept you from getting a job:
     - Too young or too old
     - You're a woman OR you're NOT a woman  (same as, you're a man OR you're NOT a man)
     - You're a minority OR you're NOT a minority
 
So, yeah, many times, we can feel that we are fighting an uphill battle in the area of trying to secure a job even to the point of feeling as if we have been discriminated against.
 

But, are you ever guilty of "SELF-DISCRIMINATION"?

Huh?

Let me explain...

Sometimes we put up those walls all by ourselves and we "disqualify" ourselves from jobs and opportunities WITHOUT someone else ever even telling us those things.

This may be especially true if you have been in the job market for an extended period of time and you begin to feel like giving up. You begin to "self-discriminate" when you - all by yourself - begin to tell yourself the following things when looking at a "help wanted" ad (for example):
     - I'm too young (or old)...they'll never hire me.
     - I have too much (or too little) education...they'll never hire me.
     - I'm UNDER (or OVER) qualified for that position...they'll never hire me.
     - They'll never hire me because...(fill in the blank with whatever you wish).

STOP ELIMINATING YOURSELF with "SELF-DISCRIMINATION"!

You MUST maintain your level of confidence in yourself and your abilities, especially (again) if you've been in the job market for a while. It can, indeed, become frustrating, depressing and, at times, even dehumanizing.

Stay connected with information such as this and the podcasts as well as other positive information to help keep your mind focused on what is POSITIVE!

Many times - not always - companies are more interested in hiring the "person" more than they are in filling the "position". With many jobs, there are MANY that can fill a "position" but, the right "person" can do that and more.

BE THAT "PERSON"!

Yes, even in jobs that you KNOW that you are "overqualified" to fill, do NOT be afraid to approach such an opportunity (especially if you are needing to do whatever you can to provide for you and/or your family). Yes, your qualifications may exceed the "position" but, you are THE "person" that can fill that "position" and, at the same time, bring a needed positive impact to that "position" AND the company as a whole. Don't you think that this company could likely use a little extra "positive injection" among their workers at this level?

Think about it.

Do NOT give up and, DO NOT allow yourself to get hung up in "self-discrimination" before you ever even get started.

PEOPLE NEED YOU.

Never forget that! And, as you go about your day, always be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike



No comments:

Post a Comment