Wednesday, March 4, 2015

RUTS: What Are They?

 
Before I get started, I wanted to share the "credits" for the "new" music that I'm using beginning with today's podcast. It's by the same person that was responsible for the "theme" I've used for six years now and I use more of his music now. Check it out for yourself for your own needs:
"Carefree" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
 
Now for the start of this new series on "RUTS".
 
As I mention on the podcast (see the two links below to access the podcast), these thoughts came from another sermon I heard from my preacher this past Sunday. As I listened I realized that the points that were being made about ruts applied to our every day lives and activities as well as spiritually.
 
Let me start by sharing a list of things about "ruts" that we will be using for our discussion in this series:
   - A path or routine u follow day after day
   - A rut is fixed, rigid
   - A rut is not creative
   - A rut is not flexible
   - A rut cannot change easily
  - A rut involves routines and rituals
  - A rut is a route that is safe and gets me there
** "A rut is a grave with both ends knocked out"**
 
Wow, read that last one again! If that doesn't get your attention then I'm not sure what will!
 
Now, let's understand this - routines and rituals that are done on a daily (or almost daily) basis are not necessarily bad. Think about it, putting on deodorant and brushing your teeth on a daily basis is NOT a bad thing! I've come across a few people that NEED to get into that habit or RUT for sure!
 
Be sure to listen to the podcast to get more than what I'll share with you in this blog and get in the habit, routine and, yes, even call it a "rut", of doing both every time.
 
But DO notice that, even though ruts may feel "safe" and they may "get you 'there'" they are fixed, rigid, non-creative, non-flexible and "a grave with both ends knocked out".
 
"Safe" is not always a good thing, friend! This kind of "safety" (which is a false sense of "security") can often lead to your own "death" along the way.
 
Think about that. Listen to the podcast. Identify YOUR "ruts". Join me next time as we continue this discussion.
 
And, until then, whatever you do, always be sure to...
 
"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
 
Mike





No comments:

Post a Comment