Monday, July 20, 2009

While Eating Out the Other Day...

Hello friends! How is your MONDAY? Remember, it's "MAGICAL" and YOU have the opportunity to make it whatever you want it to be!

It's also "MAKE-A-WISH" Monday as I continue to urge (yes, even BEG) you to take action and DONATE to the "Make-a-Wish Foundation" fund drive that I have set up at www.FutureYouUniversity.com - YOUR HELP IS DESPERATELY NEEDED NOW!

So, let me share with you a story that I mentioned on today's podcast about a visit to a fast food restaurant. And, I'll also include something that I forgot to mention on the podcast. (See? Wow! What a great value you get by listening to the podcast AND reading my blog! :) )

This past Thursday my wife and I were on our way to Little Rock when we stopped by a Wendy's restaurant in Cabot, AR. (right off of hwy. 67/167). While standing in line I had already noticed the young lady behind the counter and that she seemed to have a "twinkle" in her eye as she waited on customers. Now listen, you have experienced the same thing as I have, haven't you? Lots of times (if not MOST of the time) the workers are NOT excited and are just there because they have to be and, even if they are not rude, they are not usually very outgoing. So, indeed, when I notice one that seems to have that "spark", it gets my attention!

I actually mentioned it to my wife as we stood in line and then we stepped up to be served. She greeted us with a genuine smile and asked us how we were doing. I don't remember my exact response, but it was something along the lines of, "I'M GREAT!" The young lady (I'm thinking she is still a teenager) responded with something along the lines of, "Alright! An ENTHUSIASTIC customer! That's AWESOME!"

As we got our food and left the counter I mentioned to my wife that I was going to mention that in today's podcast because little did the young lady know that AWESOME is a key word each and every day when I close my podcast and my blog ("Make it an AWESOME Day!").

As we ate I sat and observed what was taking place at the counter with this young lady as well as several other members of the crew working that night. A little old lady came in and ordered for several people. I could hear bits and pieces of the conversation as the workers helped her figure out what was the least expensive way to go. (Hey, a lot of people would not have even tried or would have gone for the way to make the MOST money!). They also named off, one by one, what types of colas were available and then helped her fill up the cups, put them in a carrier and one of the workers walked out to the car with her and helped carry the food items.

I kept mentioning to my wife what was taking place (she had her back to the counter) and how impressed I was! Another customer came in and the young lady behind the counter greeted him and asked how he was doing. He answered, "Good, and how are you?" to which she replied, "I'm ALWAYS good!" Again, I thought - "Wow! What an awesome approach!"

It was then that I decided that I was going to give this girl one of my cards and let her know that I was going to mention her on my podcast because of her positive approach to her job and to her customers. I also wanted to be sure to mention this to the manager as well.

As we waited behind another family in line so that we could share our impressions, I noticed that the teen-aged boy in this family had some sort of mental disability and that this young lady behind the counter did not let it interrupt her "positive approach" in any way. As a matter of fact, she had a smile on her face and, after taking their order, began to carry on a conversation with the boy by asking him where they were from and what they had been doing. You could tell that this just made this young man's day - a chance for him to tell someone that they had been to St. Louis and that they had seen the arch!

Friends, I have to tell you - on an "impression scale" of 1 - 10 (10 being super impressed) I was looking at about a 15!

Finally, we stepped up to the counter and I did see the manager in the cooking area. She looked my way and I asked, "Excuse me, are you the manager?" (Now, you know that usually when someone asks that question, there is a problem!). The manager came to where we were and I told her how impressed we had been with the whole crew and the way that they treated their customers and that it was a pleasure to watch. I also handed one of my cards to the young lady that had waited on us and told her I would be talking about her - and the rest of the crew - on today's podcast. Honestly, you would have thought this young lady had just won a bunch of money as she began to jump up and down excitedly. The manager asked if I knew her name and - in between the jumping up and down - I said, "Yes, I can see her name tag and her name is Laura." To which Laura exclaimed, "Laura Bryant! My last name is Bryant! It's Laura Bryant!!"

I was smiling and laughing and so glad that I had the chance to bring such joy to this young lady. I told the manager that I would contact Wendy's and let them know of our impressions (which, by the way, I have done) and that I'd be sharing this information with you, my readers and listeners!

As we left, my wife and I were grinning from ear to ear and we talked about this for several miles down the road as we both talked about that image in our minds of Laura jumping up and down and squealing with delight!

HERE'S THE KICKER THAT I FORGOT TO MENTION ON THE PODCAST -

Last Thursday was "Thankful Thursday" and in that podcast I specifically encouraged everyone to say "thank you" to as many people as possible and to be aware of those "good deeds" that happen that we usually overlook. To be honest with you, I had forgotten completely about that until we were several miles down the road past the restaurant.

I told my wife how amazing it was that:
1. There was the coincidence with Laura using the word, "Awesome!" not knowing that it is used by me each and every day in my podcast, blog and ANY article that I write anywhere.
2. All of this happened on "Thankful Thursday" and what joy it brought my wife and I to see the reaction to taking the time to say, "Thank you!" to Laura, the manager and the rest of the crew that night.

So, to the NIGHT CREW at the WENDY'S in CABOT, ARKANSAS - I thank you and salute you for the outstanding way in which you serve your customers! Keep up the great work!

Oh...and to the manager --- Give LAURA a RAISE! I can promise you that she is bringing money into that restaurant by her personality and service to your customers!

Try saying "Thanks" to someone today and see what happens! You don't have to wait until "Thankful Thursday" to do so, do you?

And, as always....

"Make it an AWESOME Day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment