Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Living Your Best!

Living Your Best!


I really don't want to get into some sort of discussion and/or argument that is sports related when I share these thoughts with you today. I've heard them all debated over and over again and my mind has still not been changed. If you've already listened to the podcast then you already know what I'm talking about. If not...let me share as we begin today.

As this years NFL regular season began to wind down and teams already knew that they were going to the playoffs we saw some of them "rest their starters" so that they could be sure to have them healthy once they got to the playoffs. Sounds good on the surface right?

However, most of the time - if not all of the time - this ended up with these teams LOSING to their opponent. Here's the kicker - these teams could have rested their starters AND still won the game and, for one team in particular, ended with a perfect record for the season.

But, no. Instead of keeping their starters in the game until they got a lead that SHOULD NOT be able to be overcome and THEN taking their starters out, we saw teams take their starters our prematurely and lose the game.

The cameras were zoomed in on the face of the quarterback of the one team that could have gone undefeated and it looked like he had just eaten the most distasteful food possible - he looked absolutely sick!

I have watched for years as teams in the NBA seemed to have purposely lost games so that they might have a better chance at THE lottery pick for the best player available for the next year. As a matter of fact, a man that was an assistant coach a few years back said just recently that this was EXACTLY what had happened with the team for which he coached.

I'm sorry if you don't agree but, to me, that's just wrong.

What about the fans that pay the same amount of money for a ticket for a game when the teams play their best players and the players play their best as they do for one of the games like we're talking about in today's entry? They're not really getting their money's worth, are they?

Like I said, I really don't want to get into an argument or discussion about this - I've heard them all. What I usually here is how this makes sure the main players are healthy for the playoffs OR that the basketball team may increase their chances at the lottery pick.

Here's the deal - NEITHER of these are guaranteed!

I've seen NFL teams that have done this get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs - how did THAT work out for you? And, I've seen NBA teams NOT get the number one pick in the lottery. They were bad before and lost on purpose and they STILL were going to be bad and also lost a lot of respect of their fans.

Remember - TODAY is all we have!

NO ONE is guaranteed ANYTHING about tomorrow! It's just not there, my friend!

The problem is this (as I see it): This kind of approach and attitude is not just tied into these sports scenarios - it's widespread in our society!

I know this next example is meant for humor - really, I do understand that. But, it is an example of how many people think. We've all seen the t-shirts that read, "I'm #1!" right? I am also sure that most of us have seen the shirts that read, "I'm #3 - Why Try At All?".

The sad part is - many people live their whole lives this way.

Many in our society approach a job with the thought, "What's the least amount of work I have to do without getting fired?" instead of, "How can I do this job to the best of my ability?".

I was reading a true account in a book one day about a guy that went to work for a company and was doing his best each day. It didn't' take long before he was approached by someone that had been working there for a few years who said, "Hey, knock it off! Quit working so hard - if you keep this up then they're going to expect the rest of us to work like that! You need to just "act" busy, got it?".

Wow! My guess is that some of you have had this happen to you.

It seems that we have become a society of, "What do I have to do to get by?" instead of "What can I do to exceed expectations?".

My friend, this is not LIVING YOUR BEST. In my opinion, this is not living at all!

Do NOT fall into the trap of settling for less! Do not become "less" by adapting this attitude!

For example, many will say that a marriage is a 50/50 proposition, meaning that each gives 50%.

WRONG! Marriage is a 100/100 proposition and either person that gives less than 100% is not living up to their end of the deal!

IT IS UP TO YOU to make this happen in your life!

You can either be a thermometer OR a thermostat. Here's what I mean. A thermometer only registers the temperature around it. In other words, a thermometer only tells you "what is". However, a thermostat SETS the temperature that the thermometer registers. So, if you are a thermometer person - you basically just "go with the flow". But, if you are a thermostat person YOU set the pace!

It's so easy to slide into the thermometer lifestyle. Let me give you an example from my personal life. Back several years ago I was working for a company working a job just so that I could make ends meet. It wasn't the best job in the world but it helped put some food on the table. The good thing was that I was in the sales department so I had the opportunity to get out of the office - which was FULL of negativity - and mingle with the customers. The potential problem with this was the fact that most of these customers were very displeased with this company and the way that they had been doing business, so I usually got an ear full.

I was able to overcome that fairly easily - I was determined to giving them the best service possible! The problem was - those back at the office didn't seem to share my desire. It was a constant struggle to get the office to fulfill what needed to be done to give the customers the service that they were paying for!

I kept my positive attitude up for a while (I have to say that this was also before I was introduced to great men like Jim Rohn and other materials) but then began to hang around the office longer than I should. By doing so I began to hear and listen to the negativity that filled the air in that office. And, it wasn't long before I was joining right in and becoming a negative person myself. I had taken the path of least resistance and had become "one of them" instead of living the life of a thermostat!

Needless to say, it wasn't long before I quit this job to take on another one which was not a good one either.

Now, let me give you an example on the other side of the spectrum. This one is about my wife and her approach to situations like this. She lives the life of a thermostat and REFUSES to become a thermometer!

If you will actually notice, it just seems that most workplaces are full of negativity. People griping and complaining about what's not right and on and on. My guess is, your place of work is no different, right?

As my wife has begun a few of these jobs she would decide - from day one - that she was not going to give in to the negativity and that she was going to do her best to make everyone around her smile. Sounds kind of "wishful-thinking-like" doesn't it?

The best example is with one particular job at which everyone warned her about a particular assistant manager - a woman that was always in a terrible mood and was constantly griping at the other workers. My wife came home and told me about this and, with a gleam in her eye said, "I'm going to make sure that she smiles at least ONCE while I am working with her every day!" And, guess what? She did! Not only that, but the lady ended up smiling as soon as my wife would walk in the door and was pleasant with her - and the rest of the workers - the whole time!

Get this - the assistant manager even ended up knitting my wife a "throw" for the sofa!

My wife is a PRO at this and it's awesome to watch!

So, here's the thing for today: Are you LIVING your best by GIVING your best?

Think about it. Really be honest in your assessment of whether you are a THERMOMETER or a THERMOSTAT and understand that you CAN live a life of giving your best which, in turn, will cause you to LIVE your best!

And it begins today!

So, that being said, "Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment