Thursday, February 18, 2010

Make Each Day Count!

Twelve "Do's and Don'ts" For Living a Positive Life

1. Make Enthusiasm A Daily Habit!
2. Don't Allow Negative People to Determine Your Self-Worth!
3. Get Into The Habit of Talking to Yourself Affirmatively!
4. Get Into the Habit of Talking to Others With an Affirmative, Positive Vocabulary!
5. Don't Be a Grudge Collector!
6. Think Positive & Pleasing Thoughts!
7. Don't Brag - Let Your Actions Speak For You!
8. Get High on Doing Good!
9. Don't Get Sidetracked!
10. Wake Up Happy!
11. Find a POSITIVE Support Group!

12. Make Each Day Count!

The actual way this is worded is as follows: "Make Every Day and Every Evening the Best Possible - Once Spent, They're Gone Forever!"

Pretty sobering thought, isn't it?

However, it should also help us approach each day with more vitality - see #10: "Wake Up Happy!" for example.

I did this on the podcast and I want to do this exercise with you here, right now. Take out a pen and a piece of paper and fill in the blanks. Yes, it IS important for you to write this yourself and not just see it as I have typed it - this is for YOU, o.k.? Remember, write this out and fill in the blanks...

"Today is ___(day of the week - Thursday for me)___, ___(Date - February 18,2010 for me)__. This is the only, ___Thursday, Feb. 18, 2010___ there will ever be and, once it is gone, it is gone forever."

I don't know about you, but doing that really brings the point home to me! Too many times we get into the "rut mindset" that each day is the same over and over again (kind of like in the movie, "Groundhog Day") and that there is nothing really special or different between one day or another.

WRONG!

Each day is unique! Each day is different! Each day is special! Each day is YOURS to explore and enjoy to the fullest!

Yeah, I know, sometimes you just want to slap me, right? ;)

But, stating things in this way and saying them to yourself (daily affirmations) WILL help you begin to understand it, believe it and get excited about it!

Now, this may sound like a little thing to you, but when I take the time to notice it, I actually DO get excited! Here's what I'm talking about - the time that the sun sets!

You see, I absolutely HATE the time change in the fall when it gets darker earlier. If I let it (and I used to), I could really allow this to impact me in a very negative way - but I choose not to let it go that far anymore. However, I do not like it! So, when I watch the local weather and they give the forecast for the next day they always have listed at the bottom the time the sun will be setting. When I start seeing the time swing into the "later" category by only a minute (maybe two) each day - I HONESTLY GET EXCITED!

Why? Because I love the daylight longer in the afternoon and evenings!

But, you know what? This is also another wonderful example of how each day is different and unique!

Maybe you need to change up your routine a little bit just to help you break out of your rut! Are you one of those people that does everything EXACTLY the same way each day? If so, DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

Notice the people and the sounds around you each day! Pay attention to the different styles of clothing that people wear. Hey, look at their hair!

Aren't you glad we're not all the same?

Aren't you glad each day is not the same?

This is YOUR day!

Yes, I know there are obligations that you have. Yes, I know that you have a job (hopefully) that you must stay with until you're told it's o.k. to go home (what a way to live, right?). Yes, I know you have family obligations that you are committed to and love.

So, it's up to you to find ways to "wake up your senses" and celebrate the uniqueness of today!

It's also up to you to wake yourself up to the point of doing your BEST today in anything and everything that you do!

It's also up to you to wake yourself up to those that are around you and to smile and be a positive influence in their lives! It's up to you to do something nice for those with which you come into contact during the day! (Hey, it may be just smiling and saying hello).

It's up to you to enjoy your kids and see the blessing that they are in your life! It's up to you to realize and understand that this day will go by quickly so you must do all you can to squeeze as much joy out of it as you can.

I love the show, "The Amazing Race". Think about it - each day is just that for each one of us.

However, don't think of the "race" part as "who is going to win". Instead, think of how amazing today is and the "race" is you trying to beat the end of the day by getting as much joy and happiness out of it as is humanly possible.

SQUEEZE THE DAY!

Cute, huh?

And, as you do...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike




No comments:

Post a Comment