Here's a question to consider as we begin today's discussion: Do you even KNOW what your real "desire" or "dream" is for your life?
That may sound like a silly question and you may even answer right away, "Well, of course I do!" But do you really?
You see, again, so many of us THINK we are following OUR desires when, in reality, we're not following our desires at all - we're following someone else's FOR us. And, if you take the time to really think about it and you discover that this is actually true in your life, you may not even remember or even know what YOUR desire/dream really is after all.
This is purely a "guesstimate", but I'd say that at least 80% of us are not really following OUR desires and dreams, but someone else's. If I'm even close to being right - and I think I am - isn't that something to consider?
And, again, the thing is, most of that 80% don't even realize that this is true in their lives! Many f that 80% think they are actually following THEIR desires and then wonder why they feel unfulfilled and unhappy!
So, today, as the conclusion to our week's discussion on, "Desire Determines Direction" (if you're following someone else's desire or dream, which direction are you headed?) I want to try to help you focus in and discover - or rediscover - YOUR desire and dream for YOUR life!
I want to challenge you to really take the time to sit down and give this some thought - have you forgotten what your desire and dream is for your life? Has it been so long - have you been "off track" for so long - that you have forgotten what it was that got you "excited" about your life? Try to remember, try to think again of what it was that you wanted for your life and get a piece of paper and a pencil or pen out and get ready to go through a very simple process that will help you in this endeavor.
Let me just say here first, that sometimes, "life" just gets in the way and we do have to postpone some things from time to time. That doesn't make you a failure or a "slackard" as we say in Arkansas, it just means that "life happens"! For example, if you have young children at home, many times these children and all the things that go with it take center stage - as it should!
So, sometimes things may have to be postponed, but it's also important for us to keep our desires and dreams at the forefront of our thoughts so that, when the opportunity arises, we are ready to make some moves in order to make them a reality in and for our lives. You may even be able to do some things "on the side" (in the evenings or whenever) that might be slowly moving you in that direction. By keeping this at the forefront of our thoughts - even though other things are taking center stage - our minds will be open and aware of opportunities that, otherwise, we might miss!
Alright, do you have your paper and writing instrument ready? Here we go and keep in mind, get as detailed as you possibly can in this process! This will help you remember and reignite vividly your true desires and dreams for your life!
1. Write It Down! As best as you can, write down what your desire/dream is and get as specific and as detailed as possible. Don't just say, "I want to be successful". What does that mean anyway? For some, "successful" means raising a happy and healthy family while, for others, it may mean that PLUS running their own business. It's different for everyone so get as detailed and specific as you can as to what it means for you! See what I mean? Hey, don't worry about it if you fill up a whole page! What you may find is this - once you start thinking and writing down your thoughts it may all just "flow" line after line after line! This is good for it shows that your mind if opening up and pouring out the treasure that you have, perhaps, kept under lock for too long!
2. "Visualize" Living that Desire and/or Dream! What does it look like? Again, get as specific and detailed as possible. Don't worry about what anyone else might think about what you write - no one else needs to even see this! This is for you! As you write describe where you are, what your surroundings look like - both geographically and physically (your home, office, car and other surroundings). See and describe what YOU look like - your hair, your body, your clothes, your smile. See and describe how you FEEL! What about the people around you? Who are they? What do they look like? Picture it in your mind and transfer those thoughts down on this paper.
3. Your Why. Why does that image you just wrote down excite you? DOES it excite you? Why is this so important to you? Why is it a desire or dream of yours? Again, get as detailed and specific as you can. By doing so, you will clarify whether this is really YOUR desire or not! Honestly, only YOU know the real "why" behind your dream or desire. Perhaps you've never even shared that with anyone else - do it now on this paper and remember, no one else ever has to see this but you! So, release any inhibitions that would keep you from being open and honest about your "why" and free yourself by writing this down now.
4. What Now? It's a wonderful thing to think, visualize and talk about your "why" concerning your desires and dreams. However, if that is all we ever do then it will always remain simply a dream. So, it's important for you to know take the time (it may even take several days to do this part) to figure out exactly what has to take place - what has to happen - in order for you to actually arrive at the image you visualized in step 2. Do you need to take some courses of some kind? Will you need to get a loan for a business? If so, how and where do you need to check this out? Will you need to move to a different place? You are the one that will have to take the time to make out this list. And then, for each of these you have to break it down to what will be involved in that process.
For example, let's say your desire is to teach at a nursing school. I heard on the news last night that there is a BIG shortage of those that are able to TEACH nurses and, because of that, there is a shortage of qualified nurses to feel the need! So, if that were your desire you would write that down and visualize it as well as get specific as to "why" this is a desire of yours. Now, you will have to get specific as to WHAT has to happen. For one, you will need to check to see what the requirements are and what requirements you lack. You will need to also find out where you can go to take the classes necessary as well as the cost involved. Will you need financial aide? Will you have to relocate? Can you do some of this online? Will you be able to do this part time while you keep your job or do you plan to dedicate yourself to this 100% so that you can move ahead as quickly as possible? If you decide to go for it 100%, what will be the financial strain or need while you do so?
Get the picture? There is a lot more to this example, but I think I've shown enough to give you the idea of what you really need to do here. Again, specific and detailed!
5. Date to be Completed? By going through the process described in #4, you should be able to come up with a reasonable time line as to when you should be able to be living the life that you envisioned when you "visualized" your desire and dream. Yes, there may be some things that come into play that set it back from time to time - but for now, come up with a realistic idea of when this process might be completed.
6. What Now? Again, it's easy - and fun! - to talk about and dream about our desires and dreams. And, again, it's easy to keep them there as a dream and never really make a move to help them become a reality in our lives. Is that what YOU want? Do YOU want to still be talking and dreaming about this five years from now? OF COURSE NOT!
So, the thing you MUST do now (and this may be the hardest thing to do) is to figure out what you must do NOW to "get the ball rolling" on this process. What step - what first step - do I make today?
Perhaps it is a phone call to begin the process described in #5. Whatever it is, the important thing is to do SOMETHING that will begin this journey to reality!
The easiest thing in the world to do at this point is to do nothing! To put it off until "tomorrow" and then put it off again until "tomorrow" and on and on it will go.
Isn't it time to stop talking about it and start moving - actually MOVING toward your desires and dreams? YES, IT IS!
And you can do it! Just make sure the desire and dream is yours and, as the title of this week's topic states: "Desire Determines Direction"!
Now, get up and get going and make that desire a reality! And, in advance, congratulations for doing so!
And, every day along the way, never forget to...
"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"