Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Keep Going!

"Keep Going"

Based on what I read in the quote by Conrad Hilton, if you quit you become unsuccessful. I've actually talked about this from time to time over the time that I've been doing these podcasts and blog entries - but it's worth visiting again as I celebrate the occasion of my 300th podcast.

Yup, that's right - #300!

Let me share some thoughts that I have about that and then I want to turn it around and help you apply these things to YOUR life so that you can be encouraged to "keep going" as well.

I began doing my podcast on March 2, 2009 as a Monday, Wednesday and Friday podcast and, though a little nervous at first, loved it right from the start. Of course, you have have to understand that most of my life has been spent speaking in front of people so it wasn't anything new to some extent. Just a new "venue".

It didn't take long for me to realize that, especially since from the beginning I was reserving the Friday podcast to do a "Fun Friday" episode that, just having Monday and Wednesday to talk about things really wasn't enough.

I'll never forget as I announced that I was going to a Monday - Friday format that I had a close friend say to me, "Why are you doing that? What in the world are you going to talk about all of that time?" She didn't really understand the whole concept anyway and so she couldn't see that anyone would be able to have THAT MUCH STUFF to share!

Let me say this (and this is something you can apply to your own life as well) - when you pay attention to the world around you there will be lessons shown each and every day. IF you are watching and paying attention. That being so, I try to pay attention to how people behave (including myself), things people say and attitudes (both positive and negative) that are displayed as I go through my day. Try it and see if it's not true in your own life! Perhaps keep a journal of just some quick thoughts that come to mind on what you have learned from this process through each day and soon you'll be amazed at how much you have learned and noticed!

Anyway, over time I have asked for some feedback for one reason or another and, most of the time, I've never had a lot of response - that's disappointing!

I really don't have an adequate way to know how many people are listening to my podcasts and I do have some sort of tracking to have an idea how many people might be reading the blog - so I know they're out there...but they (uh...YOU!) just aren't getting involved in much interaction.

So, yes, there have been many times that this has been a bit frustrating and discouraging, but I have kept going and I WILL keep going.

Why? Because I hope that what I do is helping someone - even one! And, there are times that I do receive an e-mail or a message on Facebook from someone that tells me that they are benefiting from what I am doing. That makes me smile and, at times, has even put a tear in my eye.

So, here' the deal... yeah, there are days that I wonder if anyone is listening and if what I'm doing makes a difference and then there are days that I know - even if I haven't heard from anyone - I KNOW that I am making a difference and I keep moving ahead!

So, what about you?

Perhaps you are on a similar journey. Oh, it may not be doing a podcast and blog, but you may have started down a journey toward your goals and dreams and, as you plod along, you wonder if you are actually making any progress or if anything is even happening in your life.

It's hard to "see" the progress that we make from day to day as we go through the day. Have you ever tried to watch the grass grow? I hope not!

But, you know, if you tried, not only would it get very boring but you'd not notice anything happening at all!

However, come back in a week and take a look - it grew and you can tell that it grew!

Remember going to see your grandparents or someone else that hadn't seen you in a while when you were younger? What did they almost always say? "My goodness how you have grown!"

We may not have noticed that much at the time (even though if you were a male teen you likely were measuring your height almost every day!) but they noticed right away. Why? They were seeing you "from a distance" (through time) and not "up close" (day to day).

If you had the ability to "rise up" above yourself and actually see a beginning point for this journey that you are on and then also be able to see a line to where you are now - you'd SEE the progress that you have made!

One of the ways that you can do this is by keeping a journal along the way. Write down the good and the bad thoughts and moods. Likely, what you will see is that your attitude has improved over time and your whole thought process is not the way it once was.

You ARE making progress as long as you have not decided to give up!

KEEP GOING! Never give up!

The world needs people like me and you that are DETERMINED to make a difference in our world and are DETERMINED to better themselves along the way!

So, my friend, even when times are tough and you get discouraged, understand that you ARE making a difference and keep going!

In closing, I would like to say "thanks" to a few people that have kept me encouraged along the way from time to time. I usually hate to do this because I'm always afraid that I'll leave someone out - but I hope not! A special thanks to Brain Johnson for sending the encouraging cards to me, to Jim Ferguson that always lets me know that he is listening and to Gerry Ottesen for being a constant source of encouragement and finally to my good friend, Frank McDerment for being an encourager and also for doing my Future You University website going!

Thanks, friends!

And, to you my friend, if you are reading this and following along - I thank you! Let me hear from you from time to time!

Always remember to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment