Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Life IS a Highway!


On my Facebook page I posted a video of that song - "Life Is A Highway" - very catchy tune and it gets you to tapping your toes and singing along!

But, you know, it's true! Life IS a Highway....and, that being so, there are curves and bends as well as detours and alternate routes all along the way.

You've experienced this in your own life, right? You have plans, goals and dreams and - well, look at the sign above - an UNPLANNED DETOUR comes along and changes those plans, goals and dreams.
But think about it - it really SHOULDN'T change the plans, goals and dreams. It shouldn't CHANGE them but it will take you along a different path, road or highway. If you stick to your original intentions of reaching your destination!
For example, I made some very SPECIFIC plans for 2009. We are now in the last quarter of the year and there are some of those plans that I know that I will not reach and goals that will not be accomplished. So, what do I do? Give up? Sit by the side of the road and hang my head?
NO!
The journey to that destination is just going to take a little longer, but I'm enjoying the ride! I am still focused on my destination - where I want/plan to go - but I've just had to take an alternate route along the way.
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about a motorcycle ride he went on with another guy for the first time. He didn't really know this other guy, but was invited to go on a ride with him, so he did. He told me that this guy's focus on riding was to go through the curves as fast as he could and getting to the destination as fast as possible. My friend asked him, "Did you see that flock of turkeys in that meadow back there?" Response, "No." Another question, "Did you see those deer on the side of the road a ways back?" Response, "No."
You see, they BOTH got to the same destination. They both arrived. However, one got their with his head down and the determination to get there as fast as possible while the other enjoyed the journey along the way!
Yes, there are people that set their goals and zoom toward them at break-neck speed and actually reach them. However, I have known some (not all) of these people to do so only to look around and realize that they had left their family and other people and/or things that were important to them "in their dust".
Hey, I'm taking a different route than I had planned, but I am enjoying the journey. I may even be traveling in a different "vehicle" than I was when I began the journey --- but I will still reach my destination.
See what I mean?
Whatever you do - don't allow the roadblocks and detours keep you from continuing your journey! Keep moving toward your destination and you WILL reach it, my friend!
Isn't that awesome? It's up to you! No one else can force you! Only YOU can make that move.
So, get in the car, buckle up and get ready for the ride because "life IS a highway"!
And, be sure to remember this:
"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment