Monday, September 28, 2009

You Have to Keep on Living!

Hey, one thing is for sure - life isn't always fair!

But, even though that is true, there is one defining factor that each and every one of us can claim as our own "secret plan". Want to know what it is?

"As long as there is breath there is hope!"

Surprised? Disappointed that it isn't something more than that? Again, sometimes the profound can be FOUND in the simple!

Yes, life can definitely knock you to your knees - but, what then? Will you stay there? Will you give up? Will you surrender?

Or, will you heed the rallying cry, "NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER!" and rise to your feet to fight?

It is important for all involved to remember to fight - TO KEEP ON LIVING!

All of us have likely suffered setbacks in our lives that could cause us to sit in the shadows and slip into a deep, dark depression. And, some of us have done just that in the past. I've shared how that happened to me several years ago and I can say this with certainty - THAT'S NO WAY TO 'LIVE'!

Today I want to encourage you to LIVE in spite of adversity! I want to encourage you to rise above the pain, disappointment and the fear - and LIVE!

On today's podcast I shared a couple of examples in my own life that brought this discussion to my mind in the first place and I'll share them with you here in the blog as well.

As you know, my wife had a heart attack a little over a month ago and almost died. We know for a fact that she "flat lined" at least once. I'll get to the impact of THAT scenario in a moment, but first I'd like to discuss a different area connected to this that could stop us in our tracks.

BILLS.

That's right - medical bills. And, man, have they come pouring in! I still haven't quite figured out how we're going to handle them all - but we WILL find a way and we WILL be alright through it all! However, if we were to allow it, this - in and of itself - could knock us to our knees and throw us into deep despair!

Yet, before the first bill even arrived I told my wife that we would not let the bills stop us from living and enjoying life! Oh yes, there will be some things we will have to change and cut back on but I will not give in to the tendency to do that to the point that one ceases to enjoy life!

For example, now would not be the time for me to decide to buy a new car! That, in my opinion, would be quite foolish at this point in time. However, my wife and I did just return from a multiple day motorcycle ride up to Fayetteville, Arkansas for the Bikes, Blues and BBQ Festival there - the 3rd largest motorcycle rally in the United States.

Did it cost money? I think you can figure that one out. And, yes, there was a part of me at times (before we ever left) that thought, "We don't need to spend the money on the hotel, meals and gas right now." But I didn't let that thought prevail and we went anyway - and I am so glad we did.

For one, we now have another wonderful and memorable trip to add to our bank of memories - and pictures to look at as well. It was so good to get out in nature (the weather was GORGEOUS) and enjoy the feel of the air on our faces! It was good to see a lot of our friends and ride with a large group on Friday. All of this was good, but it was also IMPORTANT!

It was IMPORTANT for us to make this trip for another reason. I just talked about how we could not allow the bills to keep us from living - that was part of it for sure. But on the other side, it was even more IMPORTANT for us to make this trip and "keep on living".

Here's what I mean. My wife has had several people ask her in the weeks since her heart attack, "Aren't you afraid it's going to happen again?" Her answer, "No." Now, that's the shortened version of her answer because she explains something that is very important for all of us to realize!

She goes on to explain that she cannot live her life in fear! Sure, it may happen again - but it also may not! She cannot live each day in fear and allow that fear to paralyze her from living life!

I love that answer, don't you?

So, this trip was IMPORTANT for us to show others - and ourselves - that we WILL rise above this event and we WILL conquer any fear that wants to take us down and we WILL continue to live!

I'm proud of my wife! I'm proud of the way that she has filled her positive bank and knows how to put it to use in her life. I'm proud of her attitude on all of this and her determination to live life to the full - regardless!

Now, friend, listen... I do understand that many of you have been through a lot worse. Believe me, when I was sitting in the emergency room while the doctors worked on my wife, the idea of not ever getting to talk to her again crossed my mind several times - and I didn't like that thought at all.

If I had lost her - I know the impact would have been devastating. But, I do hope that, through time and with the aid of my positive deposits in my "bank" along with the help of many good friends I, too, would have chosen to live.

Friend, if you are struggling in this area - don't give up, don't give in and don't surrender. You CAN live again! You MUST live again!

Please feel free to contact me at anytime with thoughts, questions and/or input on this or any other topic - mike@futureyouuniversity.com

I'd love to hear from you and, as always...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment