Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Read, Study & Learn!

Read, Study and Learn!

If you are at all like me, once I finished college I wanted to STOP studying and - how silly of me - stop learning! It was a sign of immaturity and, I believe, temporary insanity to be thinking such a thing!

However, it didn't take long for me to understand and realize that, even if that were my true wish, it just wasn't going to come true! One WILL always be continuing to learn whether they want to or not!

So, here's the thing - we need to make this a "WANT TO" situation in our lives. And, yes, at the same time, it IS a "HAVE TO".... if we plan to continue to move toward our goals and dreams!

Can I point something out right up front? I believe there is a BIG difference between "reading" and "studying". Yes, it is true that you cannot study without reading but it IS possible to read without studying.

So, my focus for this blog today is very similar to what I said about "practice" a few days ago when I worded it as, "Practice With Purpose!". The same is true with this, "Read With Purpose!".

What is it that you hope to achieve as you read? Now, I know that there are times that we read stories just for pure enjoyment and escape and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, if that is ALL that we read -- aren't we kind of sticking our heads in the sand and not living in the real world?

As with everything, we must look at balance and, again, PURPOSE.

There are times that we read with PURPOSE (not the fictional story times) and we need to make sure that we follow through with that purpose.

FOLLOW THROUGH

Why emphasize that word? Well, first of all, follow me through this line of thinking (pretty snazzy there, huh?).

IF we read with purpose (and, by the way, everything we do should have PURPOSE in our lives) then we won't just read to say that we accomplished that task for the day. We will READ in such a way that will cross over into the area of STUDY. And, if we STUDY with PURPOSE we will also LEARN!

Read --> Study --> Learn

I remember in High School as well as college how I studied with one thing in mind. Try to pass the test. That was it! That was my goal and my purpose! That is why, many times, I would stay up all night cramming at the last minute hoping I'd retain just enough to pass the test. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not.

But I can tell you, without a doubt, one thing that DID NOT happen in those situations. I did not LEARN!

Learning takes place longer than the immediate need. Learning implants itself in our minds so that it is ready to be brought back out of that memory file to be used again when needed!

What's that old saying? "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

What does that mean? It means simply this - If I did not LEARN from the first situation then SHAME ON ME!

So, learning takes place when we embed and incorporate what we have read and studied into our minds and our lives! This is what happens when we READ and STUDY with a purpose!

A few suggestions:

- Keep on reading this blog along with others that encourage and inspire you

- If you haven't done so, go to my website (http://www.FutureYouUniversity.com) and request the FREE report that you will find there. It's not long but, again, don't let the simplicity fool you. (I will make the podcasts that I did based on that report available to you very soon).

- Go to the "products" tab on that same website and order your FREE copy (pay s/h) of "Think & Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. Wow, what a great book and, indeed, this is one to be read AND studied!

- If you have some favorite e-books that you have yet to print out, DO IT! Having the material in front of you so that you can highlight, underline and make notes improves the study process and, thus, the learning process.

- Go to Success.com (if you don't subscribe to the magazine) and look over all of the FREE information that you find there. When you find an article that you really like, PRINT IT OUT for the same reason I just mentioned in the previous paragraph.

- Go to your local library and check out all of the wonderful books in the field of personal development! Don't write in the book BUT take a notepad along with you so that you can jot down notes from those books! Keep all of these types of notes in one notebook so that all of these wonderful thoughts and ideas can be easily located!

If you are not in the habit of reading, WORK ON IT and FORM THAT HABIT.

I used a quote on today's podcast from the late Charlie "Tremendous" Jones in which he said, "You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read."

Wow. Think about that and commit yourself to do the following each and every day: Read, Study and Learn!

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment