Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Your Informational Filter

"Your Informational Filter"


Take a moment and look at that picture and ask yourself this question: "Would I allow a big pile of garbage like that in my house?"


I hope that I can answer that for you with a resounding, "NO!".


Yes, there are some people that do, but I'm hoping that you are not one of them!


Of course, by looking at the picture you already know what the real point of it is especially when you combine it with what we have been talking about for the past few days.


WHAT JUNK ARE YOU ALLOWING INTO YOUR MIND?


We have been talking about the massive amounts of "news programming" available to us each and every day via the television. This doesn't even take into account what's available to us on the Internet, the radio and even our smart phones. Is there REALLY a need for this much information/news?


NO!


Here's the deal, too, when you start talking about all of this "news programming" - a lot of it (if not most of it) is not even news at all!


You've heard the phrase, "No news is good news" right? Well, let me do my own little twist on that one by saying this: "ALL NEWS IS NOT GOOD NEWS!"


I'm not even talking about the fact that we sometimes receive bad news. What I'm talking about is that everything that might be labeled as "news" in our society is not all GOOD (as in "quality") news. Really think that one over.


The main reason I brought all of this up about the news is due to the fact that I have noticed such an "overkill" on my own "local/affiliate stations" with their "news coverage" AND also due to so many people claiming that they just HAVE to keep up with the "news". Really?


Anyway, enough of that.


What about soap operas? What about sports programming? (By the way, a lot of the so-called "sports programming" is pretty much like the "news programming" when you consider the fact that some of these 24 hour cable sports channels have to fill that much time!).


What about Facebook? What about....? YOU fill in the blank there and be HONEST with yourself on these things.


How much time are you spending DUMPING garbage (useless or negative information) into your mind? Remember, G.I.G.O. (garbage in - garbage out).


Tomorrow I will conclude this series but the battle will be one that continues in your life and it is 100% up to YOU as to what you do about it - if anything at all.


Bottom line again - do NOT think that what you allow into your mind has not impact on your life and the lives of those around you.


Start using your "informational filter" and "clean up" what you are allowing into the "engine" for your whole life.


Think about and DO something about it.


Until next time...


"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"



Mike


www.MichaelSpillman.com



2 comments:

  1. Like I mentioned I dont watch a bunch of tv but I do have something to add about Facebook. Just before our last HS reunion (i did not attend) I befriended some people from school and also some from my work (closed). One thing I had to do was get rid of the ones with the potty mouths or the ones that were just so negative because it really does affect me. We really are impacted by what we are surrounded with good and bad. Thanks Mike! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, great points, Tanya! Thank you for sharing the "real life" evidence of what I've been sharing all of these months.

    ReplyDelete