Monday, February 20, 2012

Don't Be a TAKER


Today is "Magical Monday"...isn't it time YOU created a little 'magic' in YOUR day?

Today I will continue going through my "7 Life-Changing, Life-Directing, Powerful Daily Affirmations" by discussing #5: "I AM A GIVER - not a taker!"

Now, if you haven't done so, be sure to go back to last week's blog articles and podcast to catch up with the first four and - specifically - the very first, foundational principle/building block affirmation. THIS IS A MUST in order for the others to really have any validity, purpose or focus.

We have grown so accustomed to the idea that "the customer is always right" and "Have it YOUR way" that we have begun to think that WE are the MOST IMPORTANT person in the universe and that the whole universe revolves around us as a result. Uh...here's your wake up call = NOT TRUE!

I honestly get really tired of watching people - kids, teens and even adults - that seem to live their lives really believing that they ARE actually the center of the universe. Seriously, it's quite sickening!

Sometimes it begins when parents - as parents do - just "ooh and ahhh" over their precious little ones. Hey, there is nothing wrong with that! I have a precious little granddaughter that is the apple of my eye and I will proudly tell anyone that will listen -- sometimes even if they AREN'T listening! But, the problem starts when this never stops. Make sense?

When our children continue to be told that they are so special to the point that we give them the idea that they are better than everyone else and when we keep giving them stuff and stuff and stuff then, guess what? They begin to BELIEVE it and EXPECT it! And, some people NEVER grow past that and end up STILL believing and expecting that even as adults.

I said the following to a group of teens not too long ago: "You can tell how focused on self a person is by listening to how many times they say 'I' or 'me' in a conversation." to which one young lady (who is absolutely focused on self) answered, "I don't think I really talk about me that much!" Notice the use of the words "I' and "me" used in that short little sentence?

Now do you see why I think it is important for not only YOU to get in the habit of saying these affirmations out loud to yourself, but also for your KIDS to do so (if you have them)? We need to plant this seed DEEP and EARLY so that it can take root and be TRUE in the lives of our young people as they grow and develop!

You will find that every great leader (the "non-blood thirsty ones" anyway) has always promoted the idea of serving others and putting the interest of others ahead of ourselves. I'm sure that some of you almost cringed just reading that -- it is so foreign to what we are told and taught by so many forces around us every day (have you WATCHED commercials lately?).  The next time you sit and watch commercials notice the WHY they want you to believe in order to get you to buy their product. Why? Because YOU deserve nothing but the best and, by the way, their product IS the best!

This is getting a little longer than I had planned and I haven't even gotten started yet so I will continue these thoughts tomorrow. So far in this article we have noticed and focused on the PROBLEM of being nothing but a "GETTER". Tomorrow we will focus on the other end of this spectrum...being a GIVER!

Be thinking about this and, yes, make that painful self-examination that we all need to make from time to time to see how much "ME" is a part of our daily activity.

Begin now directing your focus to being a GIVER and not a GETTER and, until next time, whatever you do, be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
Mike












No comments:

Post a Comment