Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Joy of GIVING

I remember well the time that my Mom tried to convince me that it was "more blessed to give than to receive". I don't remember my age but, based on where we were living it was sometime from 2nd grade or earlier and, at that stage in my life, I wasn't buying that idea. Not even close!

Now, obviously, as I have gotten older and have had children of my own, I absolutely DO understand and agree with that sentiment. I DO understand and believe that there is JOY in giving!

I'm not trying to brag when I say this (and, likely, many of you are the same way) but, I'd much rather GIVE someone a gift that really puts a smile on their face than RECEIVE a gift. Anytime. 

Here's the thing, friend. You don't have to go out and BUY someone a gift in order to GIVE and to receive JOY by doing so! Don't let the idea of "but I don't have any money" hold you back. Giving is not about money or what you can buy in a store. GIVING, at it's best and purest form, is about you sharing what you have the ability to share because you know it will help someone and/or make that person happy. 

It could be something as simple as time. Spending time with someone and just visiting and sharing the gift of YOU listening and enjoying the relationship that you have with that person. By the way, you don't even have to know the person for this to take place. I can promise you this - there are a LOT of people in your local nursing home that would love for someone - ANYONE - to just spend some time with them to brighten up their day. And, friend, that "someone" can be you. 

It could be a short, handwritten note that simply expresses appreciation or encouragement to someone. 

If you are continuously adding to your "positive mindset" then you have a LOT that can be shared. No, I'm not suggesting that you "preach" these thoughts and ideas to those around you and try to tell them that this is what THEY should be doing. But, rather, simply sharing your positive mindset as a way to uplift and encourage would be a gift worth sharing. 

What is it for you? What opportunity comes your way (maybe on a daily basis) to share and GIVE to those around you?

Think about it. And, try to get in the habit of doing so at other times besides this "special" time of the year. Make it a daily habit and see what happens to and for your life!

I am thankful that I have the opportunity to share this blog and podcast with you. I hope that it is a source of encouragement for you and to you and that it helps you in your daily activities. 

And, finally, never forget that YOU are a gift worth sharing. Think about it and share your talents and abilities with those around you and discover, as well, that there IS joy in giving!

Until next time friend, whatever you do, be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment