Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Enjoy Life TODAY!

As we continue with our "Positive Alphabet" we stop off at the letter "e" and will spend a few minutes talking about the need to, "Enjoy Life TODAY!".
If you've listened to me for very long at all, you know that I am a firm believer in this principle -- TODAY IS ALL WE HAVE!
Think about this: "TODAY is the TOMORROW that you worried about YESTERDAY!"
Also, consider this fact - Once that 24 hour period that we refer to as "tomorrow" arrives it then becomes "today".
So, for me, tomorrow really doesn't exist - all we have is TODAY!
And, it is up to each and every one of us to ENJOY and LIVE LIFE TODAY! Don't wait until tomorrow. Don't wait until this happens or that happens. Don't make your plans based on circumstances - you'll wait and waste your whole life away.
It's like a phrase I saw on a DVD the other day...I don't want to get to the end of my life and say, "I wish I had". I would much rather come to the end of my days and be able to gladly say, "I'm so glad I did!"
Don't you? Which would you choose? If you say that you don't want to have any regrets then understand that the way that you make that happen is by living and enjoying your life TODAY!
"Oh, but I have a stinky and terrible job!" (You can fill in whatever excuse that you want on this part).
SO WHAT? What does that have to do with your ability to "make it an AWESOME day"? Seriously! Think about it. Regardless of your job or circumstance, YOU have the ability to enjoy the day - it is up to you! I believe this 100% and have seen it manifested many times.
Last Thursday when I was in Springfield, MO. attending the "Get Motivated" Seminar on the campus of Missouri State University I noticed this principle being put into practice. There were nearly 10,000 people attending this seminar and, the most of them did not want to leave the arena during lunch. So, think about that...this is a smaller arena which means there are fewer food counters available. And, all at once, nearly 10,000 need to buy lunch!
Would YOU like to be behind the counter? Perhaps you would IF you were getting paid commission for every person that bought from you or from every order! That'd be great, wouldn't it? BUT, this is not the case the majority of time. Usually, regardless of the size of the crowd, that person behind the counter is getting paid the same each hour - the hourly wage.
Now, as much as I'd like to think that everyone attending that seminar was nice and polite as they ordered - I'm sure that just wasn't the case. When you get a crowd of people all "bunched up" all wanting the same thing and wanting it NOW....well, you get the picture!
As I stood in line, I just looked around and watched people. Some were smiling and laughing, some looked like they had been weened on a dill pickle and others look like they had been an extra in that "zombie movie". I then turned my attention to the people working behind the counter and I saw pretty much the same thing. In all fairness, I guess I really didn't see any of them frowning, but I could tell some of them were "rattled" by the crowd and that some were already tired and likely wishing that the day was over.
And then I noticed a young man named Chas!
Chas didn't seemed rattled or bothered by the crowd. As a matter of fact, if you had been standing beside me watching this young man you would have thought that Chas was getting $1 per person that he waited on!
He was smiling - not a fake smile, but a genuine, "I'm glad to be serving you" kind of smile - and greeting each person as they came to the counter.
Now, I noticed some of the other workers smiling too. However, what I noticed with some of them was that it was one that they "put on" as each customer came to the counter and "released" until the next person stepped up. I'm not faulting them! They were tired, rushed, pushed and demanded upon.
But there was something different about Chas!
I don't know his background. I don't know his circumstances. I would guess that Chas would not want to do this job for the rest of his life BUT this was the job that he had now and, by all appearances, he had decided to enjoy his life TODAY regardless!
And, for me, it was contagious. I cannot help but think that there were others that noticed this young man and had their spirits lifted by his smile and enthusiasm.
And, yes, I DID tell him what an excellent job he was doing - even though I was in a different line!
So, you see, it doesn't matter - it is all up to you. Really. It is. What will YOU do with your day?
It is up to you. You can either "fuss it away" or you can choose to...
"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
Mike





No comments:

Post a Comment