Monday, August 9, 2010

Trivial Pursuit?

Trivial Pursuit?

This quote comes from my friend, Jim Ferguson: "In absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia.” (author unknown)

Think about that quote for a minute and, as always, see what it means for YOU and YOUR life!

What are YOU doing with your life? What are you NOT doing with your life?

When my sons were little - at different stages of each of their lives - I would ask them why they did something they were not supposed to OR I'd ask them why they DIDN'T do something they were supposed to do. Their most often used answer: "I don't know." I realized very quickly that I needed to do a "Barny Fife" on this (you know, "nip it in the bud!") and help them realize that "I don't know" was NOT an acceptable answer and that it was, actually, a LAZY answer! I would instruct them that they DID know why the did or didn't do something and that I was going to charge them $1 every time they decided to say "I don't know". Guess what? That answer stopped being used and, as uncomfortable as it was for them, they began to actually " 'fess up" to the reasons behind their actions.

Hey, friend - IT'S THE SAME WITH YOU!

If I were to ask you, "How's your journey going toward your goal?" What would your answer be? If you were to say, "Well, not as well as I'd like!" my automatic response would be, "Why?" And - my guess is - your tendency would be to answer, "I don't know."

Bologna! (BALONEY!)

You DO know why you aren't making the progress you desire! It's just easier to throw up your hands and say, "I don't know" than to get REAL and HONEST with yourself and face the real reasons.

Oh, and the quote? See how it plays a part in all of this?

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS?

If you have not "mapped out a journey" then how will you have any idea where you are along the way and IF you happen to stray off course? How will you know?

YOU WON'T!

And that, my friend, produces the performing daily acts of trivia. No real focus. No real purpose. Just aimlessly wandering with no direction.

WAKE UP and GET BACK ON TRACK!

And, if you don't have a "track" (plan/path/map/goals) then, for goodness sake - actually, for YOUR sake and the sake of your future -GET WITH IT!

There. I'm done. What else can I say?

It's a NECESSITY!

And, as you go along your way, be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike



No comments:

Post a Comment