Thursday, December 18, 2014

VALUE...What's Yours?


Now, before I even get started on the thoughts in this article, I want to make sure that I clarify something, o.k.?

As you read this article, understand that I am NOT talking about your "value" as a person. Not at all. Too many people base their "self-worth" (value) on what kind of job that they have, the position that they hold with that job or on a number of other factors. That's NOT what I'm talking about today. Clear?

Now let's move on to what I AM talking about in this article.

Here's a definition for the word, "value" that I found on the computer...
     value (noun) - the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something: Ex. "your support is of great value"; synonyms: worth, usefulness, advantage, benefit, gain, profit, good, help, merit, helpfulness, avail, importance, significance

Before we talk about this definition let me say that we are going to be talking about your VALUE at your workplace. We can ask the question, "What value do you bring to your workplace?" and really get down to the point of this discussion.

As I type this, it was yesterday that I shared an article by Dani Johnson that discusses the importance of VALUE in relation to your PROMOTION at work. You can find it by going to my FYU fan page and scrolling down just a little. Take the time to read it if you haven't done so already.

Let's take a look at the definition again but, instead of the actual definition, I would like to direct your attention to the synonyms listed for the word, "value". Take each one of those words and ask yourself the following question about YOU at your work place. For example, "What is my WORTH at my job?", "What is my USEFULNESS at my job?", "What ADVANTAGE is there by me being a part of this position?". Get the idea?

Be as honest as you can in answering these questions. How do you think your supervisor/manager would answer these questions about you?

Are you a POSITIVE addition or do you bring NEGATIVITY to the workplace? Are you HELPFUL or do you sow seeds of discontent at your job? Are you one that those in charge would do just about anything to keep as part of that company or would it be a blessing to the company if there was a way for you NOT to have that job? Are you so "neutral" (neither valuable or destructive) that it really wouldn't matter to the company either way if they "let you go"?

I''m not really trying to brag but, at the same time, I AM going to brag about my wife a little here. I've shared with you before how she goes into ANY job determined to be a positive influence on those around her. Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about in today's discussion and it became evident just today. She had started a new job a couple of months ago, part time, but with the promise of "plenty of hours". However, just the other day one of her supervisors basically told her that her hours had to be very limited and that this was something that was just figured out. My wife loves her job and the people she works with and, to be honest, we were both a little worried about what she would need to do to get the hours that she needed. Would she need to get a completely different job with a different company?

My wife is trained in three different areas within this company and one of her other supervisors found out about this situation. The MAIN supervisor (over all of the other ones in this situation) also found out about the situation and, the main supervisor made it very clear that they needed to do whatever they needed to do to make sure that my wife got the hours needed because "we do not need to lose her!".

Do you think she has established some "value" at her workplace? Sure she has!

So many people miss this point completely. Many people "go to work" and gripe and complain the whole time that they are there and it rubs off on those around them. They do "just enough" to get by and wouldn't even consider doing something that's not part of their "job description" if it would help the company in any way. You get the idea.

Is that you? I hope not.

Yet, it may be you and you may not have intended for that to happen. You may find that you have allowed yourself to slip into that type of action and mentality. What will you do now? Will you just continue along this path of self-destruction or will you make necessary changes to improve your value at your workplace?

No one else can do this for you. As with everything else that we talk about in these articles, it is up to YOU!

Improve your position by improving your value. This applies regardless of what position that you hold at your company.

Think about it and then take action. My guess is that ALL of us can probably do a few things to improve our attitudes and, in return, our value at work. You CAN do it and I'm here to help with information such as this. Hey, be sure to listen to the podcast as well. Just click on one of the links below.

Until next time, whatever you do, always be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike


Podcast RSS feed    4 "no cost or low cost" start ups!

**Don't Wait Until You Get Covered Up With More Debt - CLICK IMAGE FOR HELP!**


No comments:

Post a Comment