Sunday, March 15, 2015

Growth Pains


The opposite of being in and staying in a rut is GROWTH!

As opposed to being in a rut (as we discussed in our last series), GROWTH is not always easy. And, as a matter of fact, GROWTH is sometimes - if not always - PAINFUL!

Take a look at the picture above and, as if you can't do this without me pointing it out to you, notice the guy wearing jersey number 21. See him? Can you pick out which one I'm talking about?

Of course you can...he's kind of hard not to miss, isn't he?

I love seeing the different shapes and sizes of kids around 5th - 9th grade. They come in all shapes and sizes and it doesn't matter if they are boys or girls. There are some (boys OR girls) that are "behind" on the growth and maturity scale, there are some that are about where they should be and then there are others - and they stand out - that are way ahead on the growth and maturity scale.

Like number 21.

I have a picture somewhere of me in the 6th grade after our team won a basketball tournament. Now, I wasn't as tall as the guy in the picture above but I was still "head and shoulders" above the rest of my team mates. I remember, specifically, while in Jr. High School being in my bed at night, after a basketball game, "kicking" my legs in my bed at night because my legs hurt so bad. I was experiencing "growing pains".

It's a fact of life.

Anytime you choose to GROW (or growth takes place as a natural part of life) it's a challenge and, again, it's often - if not always - painful.

Growth requires CHANGE which, again, is not always easy!

Here's another way to think about it: Though painful, those very pains let you know or reminds you that you are, indeed, GROWING and that you are NOT "stuck in a rut".

So, again, you can choose to stay in that rut and never be challenged with having to make a decision or face a choice. But also remember that you have no "say so" in your life for the rut will make all decisions for you.

Never cease to grow. NEVER give in to the "pain" or "uncomfortableness" of necessary growth.

Giving up is the "easy" way out.

Be sure to join me for the next article in the series entitled, "Grow or Die".

Until then, whatever you do, always be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment