Friday, March 6, 2015

RUTS: Why This One?


Here's just a quick reminder of the things we've noticed about ruts...
A path or routine u follow day after day
A rut is fixed, rigid
A rut is not creative
A rut is not flexible
A rut cannot change easily
R - routines and rituals
( a route that is safe and gets me there)
** "A rut is a grave with both ends knocked out"

As I type this article, I experienced some of these very things with some "snow ruts" (like those in the picture above) as I drove around town earlier today after a late-winter sleet and ice storm overnight. I could get out of the ruts as needed but, more often than not, I could not STAY OUT of the rut...the rut would "win" and force me back into the rut.

This caused me to add another "item" to the list above: RUTS CAN BE DANGEROUS!

If you followed through with the "homework" that I assigned to you in the last blog and podcast, then you spent some time identifying YOUR ruts. Did you? What did you discover?

This article presents a new question to ask about these ruts of yours: "Why this one?".

In other words, how did you get into this rut? What was it about this rut that caused you to repeat the activity that created the rut?

 A "cow trail" is a type of rut. Whether across a pasture or field or even through the woods, somewhere along the way a cow decided to take a certain path and others followed. Even this original "path-finder" cow began to follow that same path/trail again and again and, before long, there was a visible trail or rut that had been made by this cow and the other cows that followed along the same path.

So, with that in mind, why are you in THAT particular rut?

Did you begin the rut originally or did you follow someone else into that rut? This really is important to consider because it may be a key ingredient in not repeating the process in the future. 

This whole thing definitely goes under the "easier said than done" category. I understand that. I also understand that I'm giving you a LOT of things to consider and am really giving very little "guidance". I can't give you the answers, friend. However, I can bring up things for you to consider and then suggest more things to consider as far as possible remedies.

I do hope you will join me as we continue examining RUTS and how they impact our lives. Until then, whatever you do, always be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment