Monday, January 30, 2012

Small Things Becoming BIG!

It's "MAGICAL MONDAY" once again...what will YOU do with YOUR magic?
We go through our days doing what we may think are totally insignificant things along the way. As a matter of fact they are so insignificant to us that we don't even think about them when we do them. (Now stay with me on this because, yeah, I'm going to hit a few "pet peeves" but we ARE going to end on a very positive note!)
For example, one thing I see a LOT of people do (and a growing number of young people - wonder where they get it from?) is to litter. And, from what I can tell by watching, they don't even think about what they are doing. I mean, after all, what's the big deal about one tiny little gum wrapper, right? Of course not until you multiply that by thousands of people that are doing the same thing.
Have you noticed how many "non-handicapped" people park in the "handicap only" parking spots? Hey, what's the big deal, right? I'm just going to run in for a few moments and pick something up. Again, without even thinking about this small, seemingly insignificant action.
Rude comments without thinking. "Oh wait, did you take that SERIOUSLY?" Talking on your cell phone or just being completely engulfed by it while in the company of others.
I could go on and on because there are so many and, by the way, there are things that I do, as well, that has a negative impact on others that I don't even think about. Small. Insignificant.
Now, on the other hand there may also be lots of little things that we or other people do - again without much thought - that may seem rather insignificant. And, just like the negative examples above, though they may SEEM to be small and insignificant, they may be anything BUT that in the lives of some people.
Opening the door for someone else. Saying, "thank you" and "you're welcome" and "how are you today" (and meaning it) when so many people are either too busy or too preoccupied to do so. Picking up that gum wrapper on the ground and putting it in the trash. Taking the time and making the effort to TRULY LISTEN to someone when they are talking with you. Giving someone else the RESPECT of your full attention when you are with them.
Here is a prime example that I experienced just the other day. Please know that I do not share this with you to "pat myself on the back". This just really just jumped out at me because, to me, it was small and insignificant and something that I try to do so often that I didn't even give much thought.
Now first, let me tell you that, for the most part I feel that the term "customer service" is an oxymoron. It seems that the majority of the time that I have to call in and speak to a "customer service representative" it turns out to be something LESS than a pleasant experience. Can any of you relate to that?
Anyway, I really wasn't expecting a battle of any kind but, to be honest, I wasn't looking forward to making a call that would involve a customer representative. As a matter of fact, I tried every way that I could think of to try to take care of this business through this company's website where I would NOT have to talk to anyone. No such luck.
Within the first minute of the conversation, after the gentleman introduced himself to me, he asked, "How are you today?" to which I responded, "I'm doing great! How are YOU doing today?" No biggie. No major motivational speech. Simple. Small. Seemingly insignificant.
However, this gentleman on the other end of the phone said with a smile in his voice, "Mr. Spillman, I'm doing fine and, I'll tell you this - I will be working for another 8 hours or so on my shift and you will likely be the ONLY person that will ask me that today. THANK YOU for asking me how I am doing!"
Did that seemingly insignificant exchange make a difference in this man's day? Apparently so! Did I set out to make that impact? Not really. But I did.
Small things becoming BIG. Think about it and pass it along and see what happens in YOUR world.
Until next time, friends...
"Be sure to make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment