Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Small Things BLOWING UP Big!

Today is "Turn-Around Tuesday" --- YOU have the opportunity to do that TODAY!

The story is told of an elderly couple sitting out on the front porch in their rocking chairs enjoying a lovely afternoon when the old man decides to express some loving thoughts to his wife of many years. Leaning over in her direction he say, "I love you!" to which the dear lady responded, "What's that you say?" Leaving over a little further and talking a little louder the gentleman repeats, "I said, I love you!". Still unable to hear what her husband was saying and a bit frustrated she said, "Tarnations old man! Speak up and say what you want to say!". The old man gave it all he had and yelled out at the top of his voice, "I SAID, I - LOVE - YOU!!" to which, with misunderstanding, the sweet woman replied at the top of her voice, "Well, good grief! I'M TIRED OF YOU TOO!"

Oops! MISunderstandings, MISinterpretations and just plain ol' "MISSES" that turn into MESSES!

"Just let it go." I have uttered those words numerous times in working with young people lately when they want to respond heatedly to what really is a very small offense. Hey, you know this to be true, right - people find out what "buttons" to push to get a reaction from you and they push it often and then they push it MORE often! What happens if we just learn to "let it go" and don't react? Many times, the "problem" will disappear.

I'm ticklish but I have learned to control that response so that when someone comes up to me and asks if I'm ticklish they don't get a response when they try to tickle me. By the way, isn't it odd that a person would ASK you a question and either not believe you OR (as usually is the case) start tickling you before you even answer? Anyway, I can resist the response and, guess what? They don't try it any more.

Simple illustration, I know. But it applies pretty much the same way to learning how to NOT let people "push our buttons". Remember, THEY DO NOT HAVE CONTROL over our emotions. We do!

Also consider the "chain of events" that takes place when you allow this to happen to you and then you drop that negative attitude on anyone and everyone around you. Many of these people are "innocent bystanders" and have absolutely nothing to do with the problem in the first place.

So, realize that what happens to you - positive or negative - doesn't stay with just you. Share the good, the positive and JUST LET GO of the negative and harmful.

Try it, you might like it! (And those around you will likely be pretty happy with it as well).

Until next time, be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment