Friday, July 25, 2014

4th of 4 Agreements: DO YOUR BEST!

 
- Your Best is Going to Change From Moment to Moment; It Will be Different When You are Healthy as Opposed to Sick -  Under any circumstance, simply do your best and you will avoid
self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.-
 
 
You know, so many of the things that we've discussed over this discussion of "The Four Agreements" really boils down to us being more patient and caring with those around us.
 
Think about that for a minute and apply that thought to what has been discussed: Making sure our word is "impeccable" and being careful how we use our words; not taking everything personally; taking the time to listen to what people are saying as well as taking the time to clearly communicate what it is you are trying to say.
 
We're in too much of a rush with too many things...including our relationships.
 
Our being more patient and caring with one another will also help us understand that people are not ALWAYS at their "best" 100% of the time. People get tired, stressed and sick. Those that try to always put forward that "Sure, I just got hit by a car but I'm AWESOME!" attitude are usually headed for some sort of mental crash in the near future.
 
We don't need to expect "our best" at all times nor should we expect that from those around us. Relax a little and be a little more patient.
 
Simply do your best.
 
I actually had a "boss" (that's all he was for he surely was NOT a leader of people) tell me that doing my best was not good enough.
 
My team manager was working with us to help us set some goals for the day when "Mr. Boss" (that's about the nicest name I can come up with *grin*) came by to try to get us to boost them up even higher. Like I said, he was not a leader but, rather, he was a bully to those that would allow it.
 
Each of us had to go up to the white board and write down a number to indicate our goal for the day while he stood right next to the board and watched us. The first young lady went up and timidly put up what was likely a realistic goal for herself and he looked at her, shook his head and said, "Nooooooo." Which caused her to make up a number that meant nothing.
 
This basically caused him to go on a 15 minute rant about goals in a very negative and over-bearing manner. I simply could not look at him which, of course, drew his attention. He picked me out of the group and said, "Hey, what's YOUR goal for the day?" I replied that my goal was to do the best that I could to which he replied, "That's not good enough!" Now, mind you, this guy was not used to anyone standing up to him so it didn't really go over real well when I said, "My best is not good enough for you?" When he emphasized, "NO" I did actually say, "I think you are the first person that I've ever met that wouldn't kill to have a work force that was dedicated to doing their best."
 
He went on and on to the group about how doing your best may not be good enough, basically said that my thought was idiotic,  and then left. Honestly, people like this are not used to being stood up to and he didn't quite know what to do with me, so he called my manager in instead. With a smile on her face she had to have a "talk" with me and reprimand me for "showing him up" in front of the others.
 
So, let's just sum up that whole point here: DO YOUR BEST AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE REST!
 
Do all that you can do, give it your all - do your best - and stop beating yourself up because someone else (or even yourself) feels that it isn't good enough.
 
If you do your best, what more is there?
 
Hey friend, there's enough negativity out there that is working to tear us down, right? So how about we all decide to take care of each other a little more by being more patient, caring and understanding?
 
Your world will be a much more peaceful place as will those connected to your world, which then means that their world will also be a much more peaceful place. And on and on it goes.
 
Thanks for your time. Until next time, be sure to...
 
"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
 
Mike
 

                                        TRAVEL FOR LESS and ENJOY LIFE MORE!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment