Monday, January 19, 2015

People Worth Meeting (1)

Interesting Person #1
 
In my job I meet some very interesting people from time to time - almost daily. Now, true, sometimes they are "interesting" in a way that causes me to think, "Now THAT was interesting!".
 
Yet, at other times, I come across people that really spark my interest and helps me know that, indeed, coming across their path was a unique and special experience that I was able to absorb.
 
In this weeks' series, I will introduce you to two men that I recently met that impacted me in the way that I just described in the last paragraph. Then, in the last segment of this series I will share some information with you about a man that I never met and that you will likely recognize. I will share something with you about this man that has made a profound impact on MANY over the past few weeks.
 
Meet "Interesting Person #1" - Mr. Don't Tell Me I Can't
 
A few weeks ago I met a young man (he is about 40 years old - hey, younger than me!) that had a physical handicap that he did not let hinder him. In our discussion I found out that he had suffered an injury when he was 13 years old in which his head was crushed. I don't know all of the details but, from what I understood, he suffered some mental injuries as well as some physical injuries that are connected to his brain.
 
Here's what he proudly told me with a big grin on his face: "If someone tells me that I can't do something, I'm the S.O.B. that's going to get it done!"
 
I asked him when the last time was that someone told him he couldn't do something and he told me it had happened just the week before I met him. When I asked him what it was, he told me that someone told him that, though he had planned to do so, he could not walk home from town. Oh, and by the way, this guy lived about six miles from town which is a long walk for ANYONE. Some of his physical problems made it even more difficult but, friend, that did not hold him back and he walked the full way home!
 
Even after 27 years of dealing with this adversity he still had a great attitude and a determination that this set back was not going to allow him to make excuses and give in to a weaker mindset. As a matter of fact he told me that he hated being on disability. He told me that his goal was to get off of disability and to be able to support himself financially. If I were a betting man I'd place my bet on him doing just that!
 
Now then, what about you?
 
What have you allowed to serve as your excuse for not accomplishing what you have set out to accomplish?
 
If you're like me (and I think you are), when I look at someone like the man I just introduced you to, I really have a hard time really coming up with any EXCUSE that makes much sense. Right? Bottom line is this: I HAVE NO EXCUSE when compared to "Mr. Don't Tell Me I Can't".
 
And, yes, this is a true story and this is about a real person.
 
I was encouraged - and challenged - by this meeting and I hope that you will be as well. I hope that you will be challenged to the point of really taking another look at your attitude and your actions.
 
I also hope that it will cause you to pay attention to those that cross your path each and every day. Pay attention, you will likely meet someone that will inspire you as well.
 
Here's the thing, though...you will actually have to talk to them and find out a bit about them in order for this to take place. Our world is FULL of interesting people.
 
AREN'T YOU GLAD? I know I am!
 
Join me in the next segment of this series as I introduce you to "Interesting Person #2". Until then, whatever you do, always be sure to...
 
"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
 
Mike
 

No comments:

Post a Comment