Wednesday, March 23, 2011

RELLATIONSHIPS: In the Workplace

"RELATIONSHIPS: In the Workplace"

(access the audio/video version of this topic at: http://www.michaelspillman.com/)


First of all, just as I did on the podcast for today, let me clarify that I am NOT any type of "relationship expert". Quite honestly, I am not sure that there really IS such a thing and I challenge such a "title".


Anyway, I simply am sharing what I feel and think about these things based on my own personal experiences as well as my own observations. Again, we ALL have relationships so this is something that, hopefully, we can all relate to as we discuss these thoughts and ideas together.


Relationships... we all have them, they are "ours" and we put our "relational fingerprint" on each and every person that we come into contact with each and every day.


We have been talking about those "outer ridge" type of relationships that we all have (waiter, waitress, parking attendant, etc.) and how we are perceived by these people (perhaps the "real" us?) and how we treat those at this level of our relationships impacts ALL of our relationships.


Today, we move in one layer in our "relationship circle" and move into those relationships that we have at the workplace.


You may be saying, "WHAT relationships at my workplace? I try to do everything I can NOT to have relationships at my workplace!" That may be true but, whether you want them or not, they DO exist!


Think about this - the very fact that we spend so much time with these relationships (whether we want to or not) will DEFINITELY cause there to be an influence on our other relationships. What do I mean by that?


How many times have you either experienced this or you have heard other people talk about this experience - you come home from work (or someone else in your household comes home from work) in a rotten and stinky mood because of what has taken place WHILE AT work?


See what I mean?


We have had this basic discussion many times before but, the fact is simply this: YOU allow others to "push your buttons" and cause you to be in a bad mood. It's up to you whether or not you will turn this power over to those around you.


Easier said than done? YES! Will you be 100% successful in this each and every day? NOT LIKELY! But that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to improve in this area, wouldn't you agree?


Many times we fall into the trap of joining in with our coworkers when they begin to whine and complain about the job and/or the boss. Whine, whine, whine.


"Would you like some CHEESE with that whine?"


First and foremost - BE THANKFUL THAT YOU HAVE A JOB! Now, I understand that it may not be what you want to do for the rest of your life and I understand it may not be the BEST situation in the world. But, be THANKFUL!


CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE!


That's right. You have a CHOICE in how you approach each day and it is up to YOU to follow through with that choice. It's all up to YOU and no one else.


It's up to you how you relate with your coworkers and if you will allow them to "suck you down" with the negativity" or if you will take a different path and challenge them (by your actions) to rise above that poison and up to something better.


And, it's up to you as to how you relate to any of the bosses you have ahead of you. I mention this on the podcast for today and I want to leave it with you today so that you can run it through your brain a few times before our next discussion. (By the way, I mistakenly said we'd talk about this "tomorrow" on the podcast forgetting that "tomorrow" is FUN FRIDAY. So, it will be Monday before we get back to this.)


What would happen if you decided to do EVERYTHING YOU COULD to make your boss look as GOOD AS THEY COULD?


Think about that and join me again for part 2 of this discussion on our relationships in the workplace.


Until next time...


"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"



Mike


www.MichaelSpillman.com




No comments:

Post a Comment