Thursday, November 24, 2016

Be Thankful

I originally planned on this article (and the accompanying podcast) to be published the day BEFORE Thanksgiving, but here we are, ON Thanksgiving Day in the United States. My guess is that most people in the U.S. that follow along will not likely do so today due to being with family. 

But, whenever it is that you get a chance to read this, the message remains the same - regardless of the day - BE THANKFUL!

Many follow a trend on social media where they post something for which they are thankful on each day of the month of November. The idea behind it being to expand our expressing of thanks beyond the one day on the calendar, Thanksgiving Day. 

Now, that being said, wouldn't also make sense to try to expand this beyond the one month if we TRULY wish to expand our awareness and expression of all for which we have to be thankful.


Do your best NOT to focus on what is "wrong" in your life and do all that you can to focus on what IS "right", instead. As the graphic above states, there is ALWAYS something that we can find, focus on, and express thanks for! It may take a while to discover it and it may not be as "big" as we thought it might be but, friend, it's there if you'll take the time to seriously look for it. 

Two of my three adult sons are deployed right now and will be away from their families for Thanksgiving AND Christmas. The oldest son is married and has three young children. The youngest little girl has been born since his departure - he has never met her in person. It's going to be very difficult for all of them over this Holiday Season. The same is true for my "middle" son who is also deployed. Although he doesn't have children at home, he does have a wife at home and they will be unable to spend the Holiday's together. 

It would be easy to become very discouraged and for them to all become very discouraged during this time. And, hey, let's be real here...it IS going to be very hard for them (and my wife and I as well). However, one thing that they DO have to be thankful for is our modern technology that allows them to "see" each other when they get to talk. That is such a HUGE blessing for all of them. Also, even though the Holiday's are here, it also marks the fact that the scheduled time for their return is even closer. 

You see, sometimes you have to really search to find that "something" in order to express thanks!

My youngest son, who got married about four months ago, hasn't spoken to my wife and I for several months now. We have no idea why and it is really painful. Put that on top of what I have already told you and you can see that, if I allowed it, this could be a pretty miserable time. But, even with this situation concerning my youngest son, I choose to be thankful for the fact that, as far as I know, he and his wife are safe and healthy and, the good Lord willing, there is still time and opportunity for things to be resolved. 

You want to hear more?? The date that Thanksgiving falls on this year is the same date that my Dad passed away three years ago. This time of the year is especially difficult for a LOT of people that deal with the loss of loved ones. We often overlook these people but the pain is real and many people suffer that pain in silence. The blessing (or "thing" to be thankful for) in this is that I will spend the day after Thanksgiving with my Mom as well as most of my brothers and sisters, their spouses and their children and grandchildren. 

I don't mean to "bring you down" in all of this. I guess I just want you to understand that I understand that it's not always easy to be thankful. But, friend, I want to encourage you to search and search and then search some more if necessary to find SOMETHING for which to be thankful. 

If nothing else, remember this: "As long as there is breath, there is hope!"

Whoever you are, wherever you are and whether or not Thanksgiving Day is celebrated in your part of the world, I wish you a blessed day in which you find a reason (or reasons) for which to express thanks. 

One final note: If you find that there are people attached to your reasons to be thankful, don't keep it to yourself. TELL THEM. Let them know and let them know why. Life is too short NOT to do so. Wouldn't you agree?

Now, to follow my own advice that I just gave, let me tell you that I am thankful for YOU. I thank you for making Future You University a part of your life. If you would, stop by the fan page on Facebook and say "hello". I'd love to hear from you. Either way, I'm thankful for you!


Until next time, friend, whatever you do, always be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment