Thursday, January 23, 2020

Mike's Quotes #36: Do You STINK?


 "You can't keep hanging around stink and smell like roses!" - Mike Spillman (08.17.14)

It is amazing to me (not sure why it still is) that people think that they can continue to do the same things, hang around the same people and change absolutely NOTHING in their lives and expect things to change IN and FOR their lives. 

What's that definition of "insanity" that we've all heard before? "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." IT AIN'T GONNA' HAPPEN!

There was a time when people were allowed to smoke just about anywhere. That may seem very odd to some of you but I, like many others, lived in - and through - those times. During that time I remember working for one particular company that had a small break room and it was in that room that I would hang my jacket once I arrived at work.  This same break room was where people smoked while on their break - they didn't have to go outside to do so.

Although I didn't smoke, my jacket would smell HORRIBLE by the end of the day and I would have to put my windows down on the ride home to just keep from being overwhelmed by the smell. And, no, I actually did NOT eat my lunch in the break room...I sat out in my car because I could not stand the smell. Once I got home I had to hang my jacket outside to try to air it out and not bring that smell into the house with my wife and small children.

Even though I didn't actually smoke, my jacket WREAKED of cigarette smoke due to my jacket being where those that smoked congregated during their break. How silly would it have been if my wife asked me, after my first day on the job, "Why does your jacket smell so much like cigarette smoke? Have YOU been smoking?" and I replied, "No, I have not and I have NO IDEA why it smells that way!" REALLY?  "You can't keep hanging around stink and smell like roses!"

Years ago, when I was working in ministry, I would have people come to me and say that they wanted to change their lives and that they were not happy with how they were living nor the direction that their life seemed to be headed. One of the first things I would ask was, "WHAT do you plan to actually change in your life to make this happen?" I would also ask, "Do you plan to keep hanging around the same people and keep going to the same places that you do now?" And, again, it was amazing to me how many people did not plan to change ANYTHING in their life while, at the same time, stating that they wanted to change the direction of their lives. It just doesn't work that way!

Here are two main questions that you must ask yourself if you wish to rid your life of the "stink" that you say you want to get rid of in your life: WHAT do you allow into your life and WHO do you allow into your life?

WHAT do you allow into your life? What do you do with your "spare time"? Do you watch television? If so, WHAT do you watch and allow into your life and your mindset? What do you read? What do you listen to? What information are you soaking up on social media?

WHO do you allow into your life? Who do you spend your time with and what do you do while with them? What do they have to say? What kind of attitude do they have? What messages and influence are they continuously "pouring into" your life?

 Have you ever walked into someone's house and almost get "knocked over" by the smell of their pet(s)? I have and I thought, "How in the world do these people live with this smell?" Here's the answer - they have gotten used to the stink! Yes, people CAN get used to STINK no matter how strong that STINK is!

YOU may have gotten used to the STINK in your own life and don't even realize the influence that it has on your life and your mindset. Since that is true, you need to pay close attention to what those that actually care about you may have to say to you about your life and where it is headed. Remember, you can GET USED TO THE STINK and not even realize what you are allowing into your life while, at the same time, saying that you want to CHANGE the stink in your life!

Here's the good news - once you have removed yourself from the stink, you then become sensitive to even the slightest hint of that stink. That's right! The same "stink" that you were so used to being around that you didn't even notice it any longer can now become something that you notice IMMEDIATELY and even with just a "hint" THAT, my friend, should be your goal in this area. 

Develop your life in such a way that you literally become REPULSED at even getting a "whiff" of the stink that you allowed into your past life and be determined to rid your life of that stink forever!

Hey, be sure to also listen to the podcast and watch the video on this topic. All three of these were put together at different times so there will be additional thoughts and comments found in each one. The links for all of this can be found below. 

Thanks for joining me for today's topic and, if you find it beneficial, please be sure to share it with someone that you know could benefit as well. 

Until next time, friend, whatever you do, always be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment