Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Mediocrity or Excellence?

"Why choose mediocrity when excellence is an option?"

It may be a bit hard to read in the graphic above but, the gentleman featured is the founder of BNI (Business Network International), Ivan Misner. I'm not sure if the quote that you see in the box next to him is actually his but, he did share that statement in the video from which this screenshot came.

A little side note about BNI. I recently joined this organization in order to help my business. If you are looking for an excellent networking group that focuses on referrals then I strongly encourage you to check this group out. You should be able to find a chapter in your area by doing a search online.

The quote can apply to just about any and every situation whether you are talking about relationships, mindset or the workplace. And, by the way, excellence is ALWAYS an option!

The sad thing is what I found in the following graphic...

That literally makes me shudder because I've seen what seems to be this idea lived out in the flesh! YIKES! For too many, it seems that mediocrity is the "norm" and, friend, that's a horrible way to live and go through life. 

It's kind of like those t-shirts that I saw back several years ago. One would state, "I'm #1 - Why Try Harder?" and another would state, "I'm #3 - Why Try At All?". I believe there are too many in our society that are living the "#3 Lifestyle". 
Listen friend, if you choose to improve your life then you MUST understand the importance of determining that you will - at ALL times - seek excellence and NEVER settle for mediocrity.  

Now, listen, I'm not here to say that my sons always did what I advised them to do when they were still living at home but I tried to give good advice about their jobs when they got old enough to work for others. I would tell them to ALWAYS do more than what was expected out of them and that, if they did so, they would never lack good referrals and they would never lack finding a good job.

Why is that so? Because so many others will do ONLY what is expected of them and, many times, not even that! That have settled for mediocrity and, often, these are also the ones that whine and complain about not getting a raise or better jobs. 

My guess (and hope) is that, if you are reading this article, you are not likely a person that would settle for being mediocre and that you seek excellence. Still, be careful and stay aware because it is possible to allow yourself to settle for less or to settle for mediocrity in those that surround us or even in ourselves. 

ALWAYS seek excellence and, as you do so, always be sure to...

"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"

Mike




No comments:

Post a Comment