Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Power of Positive People


Hey everyone, meet Herman. Herman is mowing my yard today and he is the reason for today's blog/podcast and videocast - "The Power of Positive People".
 
Let me tell you a little about ol' Herman, o.k.?
 
I met Herman yesterday afternoon after I had gone through a particularly rough day combating the forces of negativity. Although I had separated myself from a person that was continually spewing negativity and, basically, pure hatred my way there were still times - due to the situation - that I had to be around that person. And, even though I do my best to fill my mind with as much positive input as I possibly can, it still did have an impact on my attitude.
 
Enter Herman.
 
Herman mows yards for a living and he lives about a mile from my house. I pass by his home/business every day and I've planned on stopping by for the past several days because I needed to get my yard mowed. But, for one reason or another it just didn't happen until yesterday.
 
On the way to the hospital to visit with my wife's mom following surgery I told my wife that I was going to stop by Herman's on the way home so I could see if he could do my yard for me. Of course, this was even before I had any idea of the day was going to go and, on the way back home, I did as I said I would do and stopped by Herman's.
 
 
I had never met Herman before and had no idea what kind of man he was but, honestly, I was just hoping that he was not going to be a negative person since I had encountered more than I wanted to throughout the day as it was.
 
From the moment Herman came out of his door he put a smile on my face! He was happy and joyful and PROUD of what he did for a living and treated me as if he had known me all of my life. He followed me to my house to take a look so that he could give me a quote and, again, the whole time he was there I was laughing and smiling while joking around with him.
 
After he left last night I told my wife, "I needed to meet that man TODAY!". Some would just say that it was a coincidence, but I believe that everything happens for a reason and I needed to meet Herman YESTERDAY! Remember me saying that I had intended to stop by there for several days before I actually did? I needed it yesterday and that is when I met Herman and I had the opportunity to once again feel "The Power of Positive People".
 
Friend, YOU need such a person or a group of this type of person in your life, don't you? Maybe you have them already. If so, you need to be around them as much as possible and you also need to let them know how much you appreciate the positive impact that they have on your life.
 
One other thought...maybe YOU can be that person in someone else's life. Think about it. We all come into contact with people every day that, likely, we don't give much thought to such as the person behind the check out at the local store. Let me encourage you to take the time to actually engage in conversation - even if it is short - that lets them know that you not acknowledge their presence but that you appreciate what they are doing. IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THEIR DAY, that I can promise you.
 
You may never, ever know the impact you've had on others when you decide that you are going to be a powerful, positive influence in the lives of those around you each and every day. But know that, indeed, it DOES make a difference. Never forget that.
 
Do it. And as you go about spreading this powerful, positive influence be sure to...
 
 
"Make it an AWESOME day! (Who else is going to do it for you?)"
 
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment